1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why don't I get international internships? (Volvo, Nissan)

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    I'm from eastern part of Europe. Does that make me less likely to get international internships/jobs in England or USA? I've been rejected several times by Volvo and Nissan. There's no way I'm under-qualified already having >1 year industrial working experience and enrolled in master production engineering studies.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When you got the rejection letter did it state a reason? Not everyone gets an offer.

4. Oct 27, 2015 #3
    They either not get back at all or send an automated response. Some feedback would be great but I don't even make it to the interview so I can't ask.

5. Oct 27, 2015 #4
    Many technical postings are very competitive. I have been doing college recruiting recently, and leaving out some important details, the ratio of applicants to offers is probably 200:1 or so.

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    It is a bit rude not to answer at all. I will at least send an email thanking them for their application and then an email saying that unfortunately we have chosen somebody else for the job. But OK, maybe my opinion will change when I have to answer 200 mails. For me, the main reason for not taking somebody is that the person just doesn't have the right background for the projects that we currently have.

If your eastern-European country is within the EU, then it will be easier to find an internship within the EU. If you are not in the EU, you and I need to apply for a special work/study permit and I need to pay you twice the amount of money. If you are not in the EU, something you could do is a study-abroad program (Erasmus or something similar). You are then enrolled at a foreign university and you can then do an internship in that country while connected to that university. For me, it would be like hiring an local intern instead of an international intern.

For finding an international job, it depends on your grades, your international experience, the university you were at, the languages you speak, the knowledge you have, the competition with 'local' people.

7. Oct 30, 2015 #6
    You summed it up pretty well. The competition in high and although I'm attending a decent university it's not from the top few out there.
    Makes me think twice before quitting my local job for a semester abroad but I still want to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook