Understanding Linear Momentum of Waves with No Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the linear momentum of a wave and the radiation pressure on different types of surfaces. The equation for pressure is derived by using the density of momentum and the speed of light. The question arises as to why energy divided by the speed of light equals momentum, and it is explained in the context of relativity where the energy of a massless particle is given by the equation E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4. The difference in the before and after pictures of a collision is also mentioned when discussing the conservation of momentum.
Darly
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi people, I studying electromagnetic waves (intermediate) and
I don't understand how the expression for linear momentum of a wave is obtained, if the wave doesn't carry any mass.
In particular, I have to explain why the radiation pressure on a perfect absorber is half that on a perfect reflector

So, I do this:

P_rad= pressure
\vec{p}= momentum of wave
A= transversal area
Volumen= ctA
p_den= density of momentum =p/vol
P_rad=\frac{Δp}{Δt *A} =\frac{ p_den *(c *t*A)}{ t*A} = p_den *c
but i the books're saying that E/c =p ? Why?
Finally, p_den *c = I *c/ c² = I/c to case of absorbent surface.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a relativistic context, which you must use when considering light, the energy is given by
$$
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4
$$
Therefore, a massless particle has momentum ##p = E/c##.

As for the second question, think about the difference in the before and after pictures of the collision and conservation of momentum.

Likes CrazyNinja

1) What is linear momentum of waves with no mass?

The linear momentum of waves with no mass refers to the movement or propagation of a wave in a given direction without the presence of any physical mass. In other words, it is the measure of how much a wave is carrying energy or momentum as it travels through a medium.

2) How is linear momentum of waves with no mass calculated?

The linear momentum of waves with no mass can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the wave by its wavelength. This value represents the momentum per unit length of the wave.

3) What are some examples of waves with no mass?

Some examples of waves with no mass include electromagnetic waves (such as light or radio waves), gravitational waves, and sound waves in a vacuum.

4) How does the linear momentum of waves with no mass affect their behavior?

The linear momentum of waves with no mass is responsible for their direction of propagation and their ability to transfer energy. Waves with higher momentum will have a larger impact on their surroundings, while waves with lower momentum may not travel as far or have as much of an effect.

5) Can the linear momentum of waves with no mass be changed?

Yes, the linear momentum of waves with no mass can be changed by altering the velocity or wavelength of the wave. This can be achieved through various means such as changing the medium through which the wave is traveling, or by external forces acting on the wave.