1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why electric field between two plates ##\frac {σ} {ε_0}## ?

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    Why electric field between two plates ##\frac {σ} {ε_0}## ? Where is that came from ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Gauss' law.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    ohh we didnt learn it.But we will..I guess I should wait then

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5
    I didnt understans...I will ask in class

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6
    There is another way of getting the result, by integrating vectorially the field created by each differential element of area of each plate.

8. Feb 20, 2017 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In a recent thread you said you're using (or will be using) Giancoli's book. Gauss's Law is in chapter 22 and capacitors are in chapter 24, according to the table of contents which are listed here. (click on the Table of Contents link).

9. Feb 20, 2017 #8
    Yeah we will learn gauss law in couple weeks

10. Feb 21, 2017 #9
    When using two plates, they are normally placed very close to each other. The distance of separation is extremely small compared to the size of the plates. This is essentially the concept of an "infinite sheet." An infinite sheet is an infinitely large, charged sheet. Technically, the electric field due to an infinite sheet is: http://tinypic.com/r/hss6jn/9 http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8000/MPvupe.png (application of Coulomb's law). R is the measure of a dimension of the sheet, and its proportional to the area of the sheet. x is the distance from the sheet to a point. Since the sheet is infinitely large, R is infinitely large and is therefore much greater than x, so 1/ (√(r^2 / x^2) +1) becomes extremely small, to the point where it no longer has an impact on the magnitude of the electric field. Since x does not have an effect on the magnitude of the electric field, the electric field has the same magnitude at every point. The electric field then becomes: E = σ/(2ε_o). The electric field between two plates is twice the magnitude, and that's where your equation comes from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted