Is it okay to divide by variables in calculus?

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dividing by variables in calculus equations and how it relates to eliminating solutions. The use of limits in the equations makes it permissible to divide by variables such as h, as it is impossible for h to be 0. This does not involve solving an equation, which was a misunderstanding on the part of one participant.
razored
[SOLVED] Why eliminate answers?

In my book, Essential Calculus, a section is introduced with limits. They introduce a random(maybe) function :

[tex]Q(h) = \frac {2h + h^2}{h} (h \neq 0)[/tex]

"We then divide the numerator by the denominator h, which is permissible since [tex]h \neq 0[/tex]. This gives the simple formula [tex]Q(h) = 2 + h (h \neq 0)[/tex]"

I was always told you do not divide by variables like in a trigonometric equation because it eliminates solutions. How are they then to say that it is permissible since [tex]h \neq 0[/tex] ? I don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, it is fine. Given that [tex]h \neq 0[/tex], both functions are equal because you are only simplifying the function.

razored said:
I was always told you do not divide by variables like in a trigonometric equation because it eliminates solutions. How are they then to say that it is permissible since [tex]h \neq 0[/tex] ? I don't understand.

Hi razored! :smile:

It's ok because all these calculus equations begin "lim as h -> 0".

So it's impossible for h to be 0. :smile:

(oh … and look up L'Hôpital's Rule :wink:)

razored said:
In my book, Essential Calculus, a section is introduced with limits. They introduce a random(maybe) function :

[tex]Q(h) = \frac {2h + h^2}{h} (h \neq 0)[/tex]

"We then divide the numerator by the denominator h, which is permissible since [tex]h \neq 0[/tex]. This gives the simple formula [tex]Q(h) = 2 + h (h \neq 0)[/tex]"

What "solutions" do you mean? You are not "solving" an equation here.

HallsofIvy said:
What "solutions" do you mean? You are not "solving" an equation here.
Whoops. That is what I misunderstood. Thanks for pointing that out!

1. Why is eliminating answers important in the scientific process?

Eliminating answers is important in the scientific process because it helps to narrow down possible explanations and identify the most likely solution to a problem. It also helps to reduce bias and increase the accuracy of results.

2. How does eliminating answers help to improve experimental design?

By eliminating potential answers, scientists can focus on designing experiments that specifically test their hypotheses. This helps to ensure that the results of the experiment are valid and reliable.

3. What methods can be used to eliminate answers in scientific research?

There are several methods that can be used to eliminate answers in scientific research, including controlling variables, conducting control experiments, and using statistical analysis to determine significance.

4. Why is it important to consider all possible answers before eliminating them?

Considering all possible answers before eliminating them helps to ensure that no potential explanations are overlooked. It also helps to prevent premature conclusions and allows for a more thorough analysis of the data.

5. How can eliminating answers lead to new discoveries?

Eliminating answers can lead to new discoveries by allowing scientists to focus on the most promising explanations and identify patterns or relationships that may have otherwise been missed. It also encourages further investigation and experimentation to explore alternative solutions.