What's the significance of using a Gaussian wave packet in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the Gaussian wave packet is commonly used in the study of free particles in Quantum Mechanics due to its convenience and the fact that it results in the smallest possible value for the uncertainty principle. However, using other wave packets such as Lorentzian can also result in the uncertainty principle, with a different numerical constant. The reason that Gaussian gives the minimum uncertainty can be mathematically derived from the Fourier analysis, but there may not be a deeper physical meaning to it.
TheDestroyer
Hello,

I have a question about basic Quantum Mechanics.

In free particle study of Quantum Mechanics, why do we use the Gaussian wave packet always? I know that the Fourier Transform of it is also a Gaussian wave packet, but I was thinking, is that what we have selected? or is that what nature has selected? I saw that in Schwabl and Cohen Quantum mechanics books.

I know also that the uncertainty principle is obtained very easily using the standard deviation through Gaussian distributions.

My friend has told me that if we used any other wave packet i.e. Lorentzian or anything else, we will obtain also the uncertainty principle, is that true?

Any answers or discussions about this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDestroyer said:
In free particle study of Quantum Mechanics, why do we use the Gaussian wave packet always?

Not always, but it's usually the most convenient, for reasons you seem aquainted with.

I know also that the uncertainty principle is obtained very easily using the standard deviation through Gaussian distributions. My friend has told me that if we used any other wave packet i.e. Lorentzian or anything else, we will obtain also the uncertainty principle, is that true?

Yes. Try it!
You can also show that a gaussian will minimize [tex]\Delta x\Delta p[/tex].

As an unrelated sidenote, Pople got the Nobel for his innovations in quantum chemistry, one of the more noteworthy ones being to use gaussians (his program Gaussian remains the most used QC software) as a basis set to approximate the wave function, which is computationally convenient, but kind of stupid from a mathematical who-cares-about-convenience point of view.
Brain teaser for the thread: Why is that?

TheDestroyer said:
My friend has told me that if we used any other wave packet i.e. Lorentzian or anything else, we will obtain also the uncertainty principle, is that true?

With a wave packet whose shape is different from Gaussian, you can obtain an uncertainty principle, of the form

[tex]\Delta x \Delta p = K \hbar[/tex]

where K is a numerical constant that depends on the precise shape of the packet (Lorentzian or whatever). With a Gaussian packet, you get the smallest possible value of K, which is 1/2.

Allowing for all possible shapes gives you an uncertainty which is the HUP:

[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \ge \frac{1}{2} \hbar[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you people, the thing is clearer now.

But I still have 1 more question:

Why does Gaussian give the minimum uncertainty? how can we understand that physically or mathematically?

Thanks again :)

TheDestroyer said:
Why does Gaussian give the minimum uncertainty? how can we understand that physically or mathematically?

Well, typically you'd first derive the inequality: [tex]\Delta x\Delta p\ge\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]
Then you can show that for a gaussian function [tex]\Delta x\Delta p=\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex], and so minimizes the uncertainty.
Neither calculation is that hard to do.

Showing that a gaussian is the only form to do so requires a bit more work. But I'm pretty sure you can. Intuitively, given that a sharp peak in one representation is a broad one in the other, it stands to reason that there should be some function which minimizes the product.

I've never looked for any deeper physical 'meaning' in the fact that it's a gaussian that does so. I'm not sure there is one, beyond the fact that it had to be something.

Thank you guys, I'm grateful :)

TheDestroyer said:

My understanding is that the proof comes from Fourier analysis, where the uncertainty relation takes the form

[tex]\Delta x \Delta k \ge \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but I've never looked up the details.

1. Why is the Gaussian wave packet used in quantum mechanics?

The Gaussian wave packet is commonly used in quantum mechanics because it is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum systems. It is also a useful mathematical tool for approximating the behavior of a particle in a potential well.

2. What are the properties of a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is characterized by its width, position, and momentum. The width determines the spread of the wave packet, while the position and momentum determine its center and velocity, respectively. The wave packet also has a definite energy, which is related to its momentum.

3. How is a Gaussian wave packet created?

A Gaussian wave packet is typically created by superimposing multiple plane waves with different momenta and phases. This results in a wave packet that has a Gaussian shape in position space and a spread of momenta in momentum space. It can also be created by applying a Gaussian envelope to a single wave with a well-defined momentum.

4. What is the advantage of using a Gaussian wave packet over other wave packets?

One advantage of using a Gaussian wave packet is that it has a well-defined width and momentum spread, making it easier to analyze and interpret in experiments. It also has a smooth and symmetric shape, which makes it a good approximation for many physical systems. Additionally, the Gaussian wave packet has a closed-form analytical solution, making it convenient for calculations.

5. Can a Gaussian wave packet be used to describe all quantum systems?

No, a Gaussian wave packet is a simplified model and cannot accurately describe all quantum systems. It is only applicable for systems with a small number of particles and in specific potentials. For more complex systems, other wave packets or mathematical techniques are needed to accurately describe the behavior of particles.