Why is (5.302) an Approximation of Exponential Operators?

In summary, the equation e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} is not always true for all values of ##N##.
Happiness
Why is (5.302) an approximation instead of an equality?

Let ##T## be the operator ##\frac{p_x^2}{2m}##.

By the law of indices, we should have ##e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}(T+V)\Delta t}=e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}T\Delta t} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}V\Delta t}## exactly. Is it because ##T## and ##V## do not commute? So the correct equation should be ##e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}(T+V)\Delta t}=\frac{1}{2}[e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}T\Delta t} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}V\Delta t}+e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}V\Delta t} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}T\Delta t}]##?

But if this is so, shouldn't (5.302) be correct up to terms of order ##\Delta t## instead of order ##(\Delta t)^2## as claimed by the book?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
[...] Is it because ##T## and ##V## do not commute?
Yes.

So the correct equation should be ##e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}(T+V)\Delta t}=\frac{1}{2}[e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}T\Delta t} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}V\Delta t}+e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}V\Delta t} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}T\Delta t}]##?
Not in general. Check out the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula(s).

Likes vanhees71, Happiness and bhobba
When I work out the term of order ##(\Delta t)^2##, the left hand side gives ##\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{i}{\hbar})^2(T^2+TV+VT+V^2)(\Delta t)^2## but the right hand side gives ##\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{i}{\hbar})^2(T^2+2TV+V^2)(\Delta t)^2##. They are not equal. So is the book wrong?

Which book is it?

strangerep said:
Which book is it?

It's Quantum Mechanics 2nd ed. by Bransden & Joachain, page 243.

Happiness said:
When I work out the term of order ##(\Delta t)^2##, the left hand side gives ##\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{i}{\hbar})^2(T^2+TV+VT+V^2)(\Delta t)^2## but the right hand side gives ##\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{i}{\hbar})^2(T^2+2TV+V^2)(\Delta t)^2##. They are not equal. So is the book wrong?
To 2nd order, the BCH identity reads
[tex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\lambda}{N})^{2} [ T , V ][/tex]
However, one can prove that, as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex],
[tex]\left( e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} \right)^{N} = \left( e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} \right)^{N}[/tex]
This helps you to rewrite the Green's function as
[tex]\langle x | e^{\lambda H} | y \rangle = \langle x | ( e^{\lambda H /N} )^{N}| y \rangle = \langle x | ( e^{\lambda T /N} e^{\lambda V /N} )^{N}| y \rangle ,[/tex]
which leads to the Path Integral when you insert the identity operators
[tex]\int dx_{j} |x_{j}\rangle \langle x_{j}| = I, \ \ \ \int dp |p \rangle \langle p| = I.[/tex]

Likes strangerep, vanhees71 and bhobba
Happiness said:

I think you are right and the book is wrong.

Likes Happiness
samalkhaiat said:
However, one can prove that, as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex],
[tex]\left( e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} \right)^{N} = \left( e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} \right)^{N}[/tex]

But this equation can be simplified to one independent of ##N##:

[tex] e^{\lambda (T+V)} = e^{\lambda T}\ e^{\lambda V} [/tex]

So if it is true as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex], then shouldn't it be true for all values of ##N##? But this is not true, so the equation should not be true for any value of ##N##?

Happiness said:

So if it is true as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex], then shouldn't it be true for all values of ##N##? But this is not true, so the equation should not be true for any value of ##N##?
If ##T## and ##V## do not commute, you can't interchange ##e^{\lambda T}## and ##\ e^{\lambda V}##.

blue_leaf77 said:
If ##T## and ##V## do not commute, you can't interchange ##e^{\lambda T}## and ##\ e^{\lambda V}##.

So that means
is false even as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex]?

I think the correct statement should instead be as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex],

[tex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} [/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited:
What I implied is that, I don't think you can reduce the RHS of ##\left( e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} \right)^{N} = \left( e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} \right)^{N}## to ##\left( e^{\lambda T}\ e^{\lambda V} \right)## because in doing so, you must have brought ##N## in the outer most to inside, which means you are interchanging some pairs of the two exponential operators in the process.

Likes Happiness
samalkhaiat said:
To 2nd order, the BCH identity reads
[tex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\lambda}{N})^{2} [ T , V ][/tex]

Since (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff_formula)
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.12.33 am.png

then to the second order, ##\ e^Xe^Y=e^{X+Y+\frac{1}{2}[ X , Y ]}##.

So shouldn't it be

[itex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N}\ e^{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\lambda}{N})^{2} [ T , V ]}[/itex]?

@Happiness,

Sam has (almost) given you the crucial missing piece in post #7. I'm reasonably sure Sam meant "in the limit as ##N\to\infty##". In general, some properties might be true only in the sense of limits, though untrue for finite values of ##N##.

I should have also given you the Wiki link to the Lie-Trotter product formula. I.e., $$e^{A+B} ~=~ \lim_{N\to\infty} \Big( e^{A/N} e^{B/N} \Big)^N ~.$$The way your textbook expresses it seems a bit misleading, imho, but the proper Lie-Trotter formula can be applied more successfully in the path integral material.

Likes bhobba
Happiness said:

No. You can write
[tex]e^{H} = (e^{H/N})^{N} ,[/tex]
But
[tex](e^{T/N}e^{V/N})^{N} = (e^{T/N}e^{V/N}) \cdots N \mbox{-factors} \cdots (e^{T/N}e^{V/N}) .[/tex]

Likes Happiness
Happiness said:
So that means
is false even as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex]?
No. It is true and has a name. It is called the Lie-Trotter product formula. You should not jump to a wrong conclusion just because you can not prove it. Do you think I lied to you when I said “we can prove that”?

I think the correct statement should instead be as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex],

[tex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N} [/tex]

Is this correct?
Yes, it is correct because as I said
[tex]e^{T/N}e^{V/N} - e^{(T+V)/N} = \frac{1}{2N^{2}} [ T , V ] \sim \mathcal{O}(\frac{1}{N^{2}}) . \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
So,
[tex]\lim_{N \to \infty} \left( e^{T/N}e^{V/N} - e^{(T+V)/N} \right) = 0 .[/tex]
But this does not help you in setting up the Path integral representation of the propagator. In fact, we can use this result to prove the Lie-Trotter formula which is essential in deriving the path integral. Let me show you how. Let [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] be two operators, and consider the difference [itex]A^{N} - B^{N}[/itex]. By adding and subtracting equal terms, I can write the following identity
[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
A^{N} - B^{N} =& (AB^{N-1} - B^{N}) + (A^{2}B^{N-2} - AB^{N-1}) \\
& + (A^{3}B^{N-3} - A^{2}B^{N-2}) + (A^{4}B^{N-4} - A^{3}B^{N-3}) \\
& + \cdots + (A^{N} – A^{N-1}B) .
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]
This can be rewritten as
[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
A^{N} - B^{N} =& (A - B ) B^{N-1} + A (A - B ) B^{N-2} \\
& + A^{2} (A - B ) B^{N-3} + A^{3} (A - B ) B^{N-4} \\
& + \cdots + A^{N-1} ( A - B ) .
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]
Okay, now take
[tex]A = e^{T/N}e^{V/N} , \ \ B = e^{(T+V)/N} .[/tex]
But, we know that
[tex]A - B = \frac{1}{2N^{2}} [ T , V ] \sim \mathcal{O}(N^{-2}) .[/tex]
So, [itex](A-B) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]N \to \infty[/itex]. Now, the above identity consists of [itex]N[/itex] terms each of which has the factor [itex](A-B)[/itex] which is of order [itex](1/N^{2})[/itex]. Hence, in the limit [itex]N \to \infty[/itex], the difference [itex]A^{N} - B^{N}[/itex] is zero. Thus, we obtain the Lie-Trotter formula
[tex]\lim_{N \to \infty} \left( e^{T/N}e^{V/N} \right)^{N} = \lim_{N \to \infty} \left( e^{(T+V)/N} \right)^{N} = e^{(T+V)} .[/tex]

Likes strangerep and Happiness
Happiness said:
then to the second order, ##\ e^Xe^Y=e^{X+Y+\frac{1}{2}[ X , Y ]}##.
This equation is correct to all orders provided that
[tex][ X , [ X , Y ] ] = [ Y , [ X , Y ] ] = 0 .[/tex]
We speak of “orders” when we expand the exponentials.

So shouldn't it be

[itex]e^{\lambda (T+V)/N} = e^{\lambda T/N}\ e^{\lambda V/N}\ e^{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\lambda}{N})^{2} [ T , V ]}[/itex]?
No. Again, if [itex][ T , V ][/itex] commutes with both [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex], you can write
[tex]e^{\lambda (T + V)/N } = e^{\lambda T/N} e^{\lambda V/N} e^{- \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\lambda}{N})^{2} [ T , V ] } .[/tex]
Notice the minus sign on the right hand side.
But, when I wrote
[tex]e^{X+Y} = e^{X}e^{Y} - \frac{1}{2} [ X , Y ], \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
I did not assume that [itex][ X , Y ][/itex] commutes with both [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex]. Equation (2) is an identity up to quadratic terms, i.e., when you expand and keep only the quadratic terms [itex]X^{2},Y^{2},XY[/itex] and [itex]YX[/itex].

Likes Happiness
samalkhaiat said:
No. You can write
[tex]e^{H} = (e^{H/N})^{N} ,[/tex]
But
[tex](e^{T/N}e^{V/N})^{N} = (e^{T/N}e^{V/N}) \cdots N \mbox{-factors} \cdots (e^{T/N}e^{V/N}) .[/tex]

Yes, I realized my mistake when @blue_leaf77 pointed it out earlier in post #12, sorry!

Related to Why is (5.302) an Approximation of Exponential Operators?

1. Why do we use approximations for exponential operators?

Exponential operators involve raising a number to a very large power, which can result in extremely large or small numbers. To make these calculations more manageable, we use approximations that give us a close enough value without being too complex.

2. How is the value of (5.302) determined as an approximation of exponential operators?

The value of (5.302) is determined by using mathematical principles and algorithms to find the best possible approximation for a given exponential operator. This involves considering factors such as the base number, the exponent, and the precision required.

3. Are there other approximations for exponential operators besides (5.302)?

Yes, there are many different approximations for exponential operators depending on the specific values and precision needed. Some commonly used approximations include (e^x) = 1 + x, (e^x) = 1 + x + (x^2)/2, and (e^x) = 1 + x + (x^2)/2 + (x^3)/6.

4. How accurate is (5.302) as an approximation for exponential operators?

The accuracy of (5.302) as an approximation for exponential operators depends on the specific values being used. For some calculations, this approximation may be very accurate, while for others it may be less precise. Generally, the closer the base number is to 1, the more accurate this approximation will be.

5. Can exponential operators be calculated without using any approximations?

In theory, yes, exponential operators can be calculated without using any approximations. However, for practical purposes, it is often necessary to use approximations to make these calculations more efficient and manageable. Additionally, the use of approximations can result in a small amount of error, which may be acceptable depending on the context.