Why is a current produced when shining light into LED

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of laser power output using diffused LEDs and a multimeter, as well as the similarities between LEDs and solar panels. The color of the LED is important in relation to the incident light source wavelength, as the chemistry of the LED is tuned to a specific energy level. Additionally, the conversation touches on the reverse functionality of certain devices, such as DC motors and speakers, and the potential for using LEDs as power indicators in AC applications. The color of the LED is intrinsic to its chemistry and not affected by the color of its plastic casing.
transcendent
Right. Here's how it is, in the past I measured approximate laser power output using diffused LEDs of similar colour wavelength as the laser I was measuring. A multimeter across the terminals showed a current which was proportional to the power of the laser.

I once asked my physics teacher but I got an explanation way over my head. (It didn't sound simply like the photo electric effect ...or at least it didn't sound like it).

A few years on. I'm asking the same question...

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's similair to the photo-electric effect. the photon gives the electron enough energy to get over the potential barrier in the diode.
An LED and a solar panel are the same thing, both (more or less) work both ways round.

It's sometimes a problem in surprising places. CCDs chips emit light from their amplifiers when you read them which is a real pain in astronomy applications and memory chips are light sensitive when they aren't encased in black plastic.

Ok that makes more sense... But of what consequence does the colour of the LED have in relation to the incident light source colour/wavelength.

Would shining a laser into a non diffused coloured LED (like those ultra bright ones) have still created a current?

You would be Amazed at how many things work in reverse. They often don't work very well though,( low efficiency). Here are only a few things that work "backwards":

1. DC motor can become generator

2. Speaker can become transducer

3. Black painted surfaces absorb heat, but also "radiate" heat better.

I'm sure others can chime in and add to the list

P.S. L.E.D.'s more or less,(not usually thought of for rectifier applications), is a DC device,(anode and cathode). I once saw a technician construct a piece of AC equipment. He used a L.E.D. as a power indicator on the 110VAC side. All he needed to do was to add an appropriate current limiting resistor.

I have seen L.E.D.'s used as power indicators on many DC applications, I found it interesting he had the L.E.D. "self rectifying" in a AC application. Obviously the "Diode" part of L.E.D was doing it's part

Last edited:
transcendent said:
But of what consequence does the colour of the LED have in relation to the incident light source colour/wavelength.
The chemistry of the LED is tuned so that a particular energy is needed to move an electron across the junction - this gives a particular energy (colour) photon.
That's why red (low energy) LEDs were invented first and why it has been so hard to make (high energy) blue ones.

Would shining a laser into a non diffused coloured LED (like those ultra bright ones) have still created a current?
Diffuse is just the surface finish on the plastic case - the LED is the same. It would be less efficient because the diffuse surface would scatter most of the light.
Note the colour of the LED doesn't come from the colour of the plastic - it's intrinsic to the chemistry, the only reason for making red LEDs out of red plastic is aesthetic.

1. Why does shining light into an LED produce a current?

Shining light into an LED produces a current because of a process called the photovoltaic effect. This effect occurs when photons from the light hit the LED's semiconductor material, causing electrons to be excited and move from the valence band to the conduction band, creating a flow of electricity.

2. How does an LED convert light into electricity?

An LED converts light into electricity through the use of its semiconductor material. When light hits the LED, it excites electrons in the material, causing them to move and create a current. This process is known as the photovoltaic effect.

3. What type of material is used in an LED to produce a current?

The material used in an LED to produce a current is a semiconductor material, typically made from elements like silicon or germanium. These materials have specific properties that allow them to convert light into electricity through the photovoltaic effect.

4. Does the color of light affect the current produced by an LED?

Yes, the color of light does affect the current produced by an LED. Different colors of light have different wavelengths, and the semiconductor material in the LED is designed to absorb specific wavelengths of light. So, the color of light shining into an LED can determine the amount of current produced.

5. What factors can affect the current production in an LED?

The current production in an LED can be affected by several factors, such as the intensity of the light, the color of the light, the material and design of the LED, and the temperature of the LED. These factors can all impact how many photons are absorbed by the semiconductor material and thus affect the amount of current produced.