Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a phonon a boson?

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    I have searched in a lot of books and online resources, and none of them shed any light on why phonons are bosons.

Can someone here help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because it carries a spin of zero.

Zz.

4. Nov 6, 2005 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Phonons are the quantization of vibrations in a solid. Since vibrations are additive, that is, you can double and triple a (small) vibration and have still be vibration but twice or three times as strong, phonons must satisfy bose statistics. That is, they do not satisfy the Pauli exclusion principle. So they're bosons.

Carl

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4
    Phonons are bosons because of their spin 0 value.

A better question would have been : why do phonons have spin 0 ?

Their is a really easy answer if you are familiar with group theory and symmetries.

marlon

marlon

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5
    Hi,
    I was wondering why phonons should have spin zero, too. After all, the quantized system looks just like QED, only with more (!) polarizations, so even in the simplest acoustic case we have one longitudinal and two transversal modes. This looks like spin 1.

On the other hand, spin is defined by the Lorentz-group, i.e. the behavior under rotations, which is not exactly usable in a lattice. So my guess is that this reduction of the full rotational group to the discrete rotation group causes the concept of spin to break down.

Is this about right? Books are amazingly useless when it comes to phonon spin...

regards,
    torus

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6
    What is the group theory reason for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?