Why is ABCDEFA considered a closed loop even with the presence of conductor BE?

In summary, Kirchoff's second law is used to get the first equation (yellow). The equation does not take into account E2 which is why it is a single EMF circuit. The second equation is used to get the second equation (green). The equation takes into account E2 and E3 and the voltage drops are the same.
stfz

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-16_11-36-54.png

So this is not really a 'solve this problem' question, but, rather, I am trying to understand how they can call ABCDEFA a 'closed loop' even though there is another connection (BE) inside it, and why the equations work.

Keeping in mind that I am still in high school physics, and this is definitely outside the scope of this course (hence I cannot rely on my teachers!), I will attempt to reason it out, using Kirchoff's laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

Why would ABCDEFA be a closed loop? I am assuming that it is because no current can enter or exit the loop?
Could someone explain the actual definition of a closed loop here? If the conductor BE were not present, I would have no problem stating that ABCDEFA were a closed loop. But BE just messes me up!

They use Kirchoff's Second Law to get the first equation (yellow). But up to now I've only encountered single EMF circuits. Could someone direct me to get some intuition about why E2 does not affect this equation?

I can't really reason it out much more... except perhaps the fact that, if we ignore E2 and E3, (hence making it into a single EMF circuit), BE and CD are in parallel, and the voltage drops are the same...

Some help would be much appreciated!

Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an oval racetrack but there is also a straight short-cut in the middle of said oval track joining midpoints of opposite sides of the oval track.

I can run a closed loop around the large oval track. But I can also run a closed loop around one half of the oval track plus the shortcut. Wouldn't you say both ways are closed loops? You wind up where you started, that is the critrerion.

Now you're an electron & you can run all the way around either the full oval or half the oval plus the short-cut.

A closed loop is just a path that ends up where you started from, and is continuous with no gaps. Currents in the various parts can be different (which means other branches can lead in or out from some of the nodes). The main point is that the sum around the loop of all the individual voltage differences is zero
i.e., the voltage rises = the voltage drops, in total

Personally I'm not a fan of the way they have written their equation. I much prefer to write it so that it really does sum to zero...

I1R2 + I3R4 + + I3r3 + (+E3) + I3R5 + I4R6 + I1r1 + (-E1) + I1R1 = 0

You can then rearrange it but I find that way you are much less likely to make a mistake.

I'm also not happy with their statement that "E1 and E3 send currents in the clockwise direction". They might do but it's not necessarily true. I think it's better to write..

"I1 and I3 are defined such that clockwise is positive"
and
"I2 is defined such that downwards is positive"

For example if E2 was very large I2 and I1 might be negative (eg flow anticlockwise).

Related to Why is ABCDEFA considered a closed loop even with the presence of conductor BE?

1. What is an EMF in a circuit?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the electric potential difference or voltage generated by a source in a circuit. This force drives the flow of electric current in a circuit.

2. What are multiple EMFs in a circuit?

Multiple EMFs in a circuit refer to the presence of more than one source of electromotive force, such as batteries or generators, in a single circuit. This can result in a complex flow of current and affects the overall behavior of the circuit.

3. How do multiple EMFs affect a circuit?

The presence of multiple EMFs in a circuit can lead to the formation of parallel or series circuits, where the current is divided between the different sources. The total voltage in the circuit may also be affected, depending on the combination of EMFs present.

4. How can we measure and calculate multiple EMFs in a circuit?

To measure multiple EMFs in a circuit, we can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit. The total voltage can be calculated by adding up the individual voltages from each source. The current can also be calculated using Ohm's law.

5. How can we minimize the effects of multiple EMFs in a circuit?

To minimize the effects of multiple EMFs in a circuit, we can use circuit components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes to regulate and control the flow of current. Proper circuit design and layout can also help to minimize the interference caused by multiple EMFs.