Why is Ice White? - Exploring the Mystery

• Thread starter Sam Ku.D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the white color in the middle of ice cubes is caused by the scattering of light from tiny gas bubbles inside. This is similar to the reason why sugar or salt granules, bubble baths, clouds, and snow appear white. When viewed under red light, ice may not appear white. The process of boiling and removing gases from water before freezing it can result in transparent ice, but it may be difficult to achieve without creating stress fractures. Removing soluble gases from water is more difficult than creating a vacuum, which can be proven by wrapping a hand around a vacuumed water sample and causing a liquid layer to form.
Sam Ku.D
When we look into the ice cubes, there is a white colored part in the middle(inside at the center). I google searched and most of them say it's the colour of the gases trapped inside when it froze.
But there are no white coloured gases inside. is there? let's take oxygen, its a colourless gas. CO2 , colourless... etc.
So why is ice white?? is it due to the impurities inside it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scattered reflection from the tiny gas bubbles.

256bits said:
Scattered reflection from the tiny gas bubbles.

why white??

Sam Ku.D said:
why white??

Look at it using red light. Do you think it is still "white"?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Look at it using red light. Do you think it is still "white"?

Zz.

So the sunlight is scattered?

The tiny bubbles are "white" for the same reason as sugar or salt granules - scattering of the sun/room light.

Since the light contains all of the visible colors of the spectrum this "optical mixing" generates white light.

Larger grains of salt or sugar, or larger bubbles are transparent.

Likes 1 person
Which is also the same reason a bubble bath is white, and a cloud is white, and snow is white, etc...

dauto said:
Which is also the same reason a bubble bath is white, and a cloud is white, and snow is white, etc...
That answers my childhood question :smile:

yeaa! now i know! soo if we boil and remove the gases inside, will the ice be transparent?

You boil ice and it still remains ice?

PhysicoRaj said:
You boil ice and it still remains ice?

nah! its not like that! boiled water! :3 if we boil water and then freeze it, will it be transparent?

Nice to try! I never tried this so you might. :)

Sam Ku.D said:
yeaa! now i know! soo if we boil and remove the gases inside, will the ice be transparent?

It may take a few tries, according to these guys.

Sam Ku.D said:
if we boil water and then freeze it, will it be transparent?

It calls for an experiment, what are you waiting for?

Likes 1 person
Sam Ku.D said:
nah! its not like that! boiled water! :3 if we boil water and then freeze it, will it be transparent?
I think you will need to boil it and freeze it in a vacuum to ensure that there are no gases.

adjacent said:
I think you will need to boil it and freeze it in a vacuum to ensure that there are no gases.

we can keep it in a place where there are no soluble gases?

Sam Ku.D said:
we can keep it in a place where there are no soluble gases?
Removing soluble gases are in my opinion, more difficult than making the place a vacuum.

:wink:

adjacent said:
Removing soluble gases are in my opinion, more difficult than making the place a vacuum.

Creating a vacuum is easy. Proving you've created a vacuum, is hard.

Borek said:
It calls for an experiment, what are you waiting for?

I'm up for it.

Crystal clear ice images in x hours!

0 < x < ∞

Sam Ku.D said:
Ever see a hockey rink...?

adjacent said:

If you use a vacuum the water will boil and freeze at the same time, you will end up with bubbles of water vapor. Better to start in an environment pressurized with only water vapor. Also, If you cool the sample too rapidly the outside surface will freeze before the center, thus trapping the water in the center and creating stress as the center freezes and tries to expand. This could result in stress fractures that would scatter light just like the bubbles did and cause a white appearance.

mrspeedybob said:
...This could result in stress fractures that would scatter light just like the bubbles did and cause a white appearance.

I think I just witnessed that!

Images in x - y hours...

While checking my vacuumed water, I noticed that the core had not yet frozen.

OmCheeto said:
Creating a vacuum is easy. Proving you've created a vacuum, is hard.

Actually, I've just discovered, that it is not that difficult, to prove you have a vacuum.

Eureka!

Can't wait! Can't wait! Must publish! Must publish!

pf.2014.03.09.1746.laser.and.vacuum.ice.experiment.jpg

Oh yeah...

time for a cigarette...

Likes 1 person
That's a beauty OmCheeto! Even I tried it but could not get a perfect transparent crystal. I get that central mystical froth inside, and I believe it jutted out of the surface a few minutes later.. I wonder what that was.

so it really is possible! making transparent ice! :D i'll also try it in my way!
more amount of impurities means less transparent? huh?

PhysicoRaj said:
That's a beauty OmCheeto! Even I tried it but could not get a perfect transparent crystal.
I tried 3 different methods.
1. Tap water under a vacuum.
2. Previously frozen water at atmospheric pressure
3. Previously boiled water at atmospheric pressure

All three looked pretty much the same when they froze.
Except that the vacuum sample was inside a 10cc hypodermic syringe, positioned vertically.

mrspeedybob said:
If you use a vacuum the water will boil and freeze at the same time, you will end up with bubbles of water vapor.
Although water vapor bubbles formed, they didn't form everywhere. The black sections of the lower half, perimeter section, of my image, was crystal clear.
Better to start in an environment pressurized with only water vapor. Also, If you cool the sample too rapidly the outside surface will freeze before the center, thus trapping the water in the center and creating stress as the center freezes and tries to expand. This could result in stress fractures that would scatter light just like the bubbles did and cause a white appearance.
bolding mine
This is what I observed in all 3 sets of ice cubes.

It's not very visible, but at the bottom of my image, is a christmas tree shaped set of white fractures.
The central tube looking thing was caused by me taking the syringe out before the sample had frozen solid.

And the reason I knew I had a pretty good vacuum?
When I removed the syringe, I wrapped my hand around it, warming it up, causing a liquid layer to form around the perimeter. I then inverted the syringe, and the ice cylinder slid about an inch, to the end of the syringe. I repeated this with the same result. Since I didn't see any bubbles flowing past the cylinder, I knew there was little gas/vapor in either end.

I believe someone mentioned "vapor pressure" somewhere, so I googled that.
At 10°C, my starting temperature, the vapor pressure would have been about 0.3 psi, I think.

I get that central mystical froth inside, and I believe it jutted out of the surface a few minutes later.. I wonder what that was.

That sounds like an ice-spike.

I have a few feral cats around my house that I try to keep fed and watered. It's a bit difficult in the winter to keep their water from freezing though. One day this January, I found this on my front porch:

pf.2014.January.ice.spike.jpg

I got all excited and took pictures, thinking I'd created the worlds largest ice spike.
I googled it, and found there have been much bigger ones.
Still weird though.

Sam Ku.D said:
so it really is possible! making transparent ice! :D i'll also try it in my way!
more amount of impurities means less transparent? huh?

Well, if you get your water out of a mud puddle, I don't think you are going to get clear ice.

It looks like this guy has figured it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2TbWEEn9A​

No boiling, no vacuum, no distilling. Just regular tap water.

The trick appears to be to freeze the ice, so that it does not create the stress fractures.

I found another video, but it was 10 minutes long, and presenter was doing a lot of mansplaining. :yuck:

My syringe vacuum ice cylinder maker setup:

pf.2014.03.10.0712am.vacuum.ice.cube.maker.jpg

I would explain, but I'm late for work.
Hint: There's only 15 cc of water in there.

OmCheeto said:
It looks like this guy has figured it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2TbWEEn9A​

No boiling, no vacuum, no distilling. Just regular tap water.

If I get it right, the key things are:
1) Freeze slowly
2) Freeze uniformly
3) Bigger the better ( but doesn't bigger means more stress?)
4) Have patience
I've a little worm in that #3.

PhysicoRaj said:
If I get it right, the key things are:
1) Freeze slowly
2) Freeze uniformly
3) Bigger the better ( but doesn't bigger means more stress?)
4) Have patience
I've a little worm in that #3.

I think the reasons for #3 are aesthetic. People will notice a large clear ice cube in their drink but may not notice that a small ice cube is clear / different / interesting.

Sam Ku.D said:
Yea, it does not have to be boiled, just use hot water!

Boiling water is the simplest way of getting rid of dissolved gases.

Borek said:
Boiling water is the simplest way of getting rid of dissolved gases.

I tried it, but the result was not that exciting. You can see some difference. It is still misty, probably due to stress and fractures. The only difference b/w myself and the guy in the video is that water he poured around the tray for insulation and uniform cooling.

when the water is at zero degree celcius then it remains water until we move it and water molecules move creating ice. if you purchase ice from market and that ice have bubbles ,means the water of that ice is not pure.

I think vibration may work also. If you freeze the water very slowly on a vibrating surface, i think you'd be able to force a lot of the bubbles out, or at least to the surface which you could then remove.

<h2>1. Why is ice white?</h2><p>Ice appears white because it reflects all wavelengths of visible light. When light hits ice, the molecules in the ice scatter the light in different directions, making it appear white to our eyes.</p><h2>2. Is all ice white?</h2><p>No, not all ice is white. Ice can also appear blue, green, or even black. This is due to impurities or air bubbles trapped within the ice. These impurities absorb some of the light, giving the ice a different color.</p><h2>3. Does the temperature of ice affect its color?</h2><p>Yes, the temperature of ice can affect its color. When ice is under extreme pressure, it can become transparent and appear blue, as seen in glaciers. Additionally, as ice melts and refreezes, the size and distribution of air bubbles can change, causing the ice to appear different colors.</p><h2>4. Why does ice on a frozen lake sometimes appear clear?</h2><p>Ice on a frozen lake can appear clear because it forms in layers. When the top layer of ice is smooth and free of impurities, it can reflect light without scattering it, making it appear transparent. This is also why ice cubes made in trays with filtered water may appear clearer than those made with tap water.</p><h2>5. Can ice ever appear black?</h2><p>Yes, ice can appear black. In areas with high levels of air pollution, soot particles can settle on the surface of the ice, absorbing more light and making it appear black. Additionally, ice that is covered by a layer of water or dirt can also appear black due to the lack of light reflecting off its surface.</p>

1. Why is ice white?

Ice appears white because it reflects all wavelengths of visible light. When light hits ice, the molecules in the ice scatter the light in different directions, making it appear white to our eyes.

2. Is all ice white?

No, not all ice is white. Ice can also appear blue, green, or even black. This is due to impurities or air bubbles trapped within the ice. These impurities absorb some of the light, giving the ice a different color.

3. Does the temperature of ice affect its color?

Yes, the temperature of ice can affect its color. When ice is under extreme pressure, it can become transparent and appear blue, as seen in glaciers. Additionally, as ice melts and refreezes, the size and distribution of air bubbles can change, causing the ice to appear different colors.

4. Why does ice on a frozen lake sometimes appear clear?

Ice on a frozen lake can appear clear because it forms in layers. When the top layer of ice is smooth and free of impurities, it can reflect light without scattering it, making it appear transparent. This is also why ice cubes made in trays with filtered water may appear clearer than those made with tap water.

5. Can ice ever appear black?

Yes, ice can appear black. In areas with high levels of air pollution, soot particles can settle on the surface of the ice, absorbing more light and making it appear black. Additionally, ice that is covered by a layer of water or dirt can also appear black due to the lack of light reflecting off its surface.