Why is it advantegous for a human to have a big back in order to deliver mechanical power?

• Thread starter Username34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strength
Username34
It is said that individuals with large back/spinal structure have a distinct advantage at delivering power, all else equal.

My question is why in concrete terms this is advantegous if the weight and speed of another individuals is similiar?

Has a person with larger back stronger support to push through the target, so that he can deliver more mass into the target?

Or is it related to generating kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Username34 said:
It is said that individuals with large back/spinal structure have a distinct advantage at delivering power, all else equal.
Welcome to PF.
It may have been said, but where has it been written?
Is this about boxing, or also about walking up hills?

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
It may have been said, but where has it been written?
Is this about boxing, or also about walking up hills?
Quora section on mechanical power in martial arts. I can't find the post. What is your first intuitive reaction to why a larger back gives an advantage in delivering mechanical power? Is it momentum or strength related? Can an average back not utilize as much strength in the joints? Or can they not generate as much momentum in the action?

Why wouldn't an average sized back be able to torque as much?

To me it seems more strength related (the pushing action of the mechanical delivery).

The stronger your back is, the more support you have behind the "pull" or "push" into the target.

But that's just my guess.

Your legs contact the floor. Your arms apply the force. The line between your hips must be coupled to the line between your shoulders. What connects them if it is not your back and your stomach muscles in tension, with your spine in compression.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Your legs contact the floor. Your arms apply the force. The line between your hips must be coupled to the line between your shoulders. What connects them if it is not your back and your stomach muscles in tension, with your spine in compression.

But why is the exact structure of those muscles relevant to delivering power?

Username34 said:
You are not hitting the target with the weight of the back, it's the weight of the arm or leg
But to accelerate your arm, you must put your back into it.

Likes nuuskur and pinball1970
Most wrestlers have wide backs, so it's clearly related to strength.

But is it strength in terms of delivering mass or delivering energy, or both?

Username34 said:
But is it strength in terms of delivering mass or delivering energy, or both?
Neither.
You are delivering momentum, the product of mass and velocity.

Username34 said:
Most wrestlers have wide backs, so it's clearly related to strength.
Wrestlers don't punch/push, they pull. Different (opposite) set of muscles.

russ_watters said:
Wrestlers don't punch/push, they pull. Different (opposite) set of muscles.

They push when shooting for a takedown.

Baluncore said:
Neither.
You are delivering momentum, the product of mass and velocity.

Why can't an average back do that just as well?

Username34 said:
So what? Speaking as a former wrestler (and a pretty good one), most of the strength moves are pulling moves, as Russ suggests.

Likes russ_watters
Username34 said:
It is said that individuals with large back/spinal structure have a distinct advantage at delivering power
Exactly where it is said? In what context?
What I know is about the muscles around the whole torso keeping together/producing the base (mass) for movement, not only the back.

Username34 said:
Why can't an average back do that just as well?
If you can accelerate more mass to a greater velocity, you can deliver more momentum to the opposition, then watch them retire, while you stand there.

Username34 said:
No, they don't. They pull their opponent's legs toward them. The "shoot" is just reaching to grab the legs - no strength involved.

-Also a pretty good wrestler.

Likes Mondayman and berkeman
russ_watters said:
This means nothing without pictures. :smile:

(digging through my old yearbooks...)

Likes pinball1970 and russ_watters
berkeman said:
This means nothing without pictures. :smile:
Ow, my arm! You're twisting it! Stahp! Ok, fine, here it is:

WRuss.jpg

I'm the one in front. Yes, I won. This was one of two times I made the paper, and my mom bought and framed the print. In fairness though, I was engaging my left pect in this photo, not my back.

[edit]
On second thought, I was pulling my left arm forward, but also pushing back up into my opponent with my legs, which would engage my back muscles as well.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
russ_watters said:
No, they don't. They pull their opponent's legs toward them. The "shoot" is just reaching to grab the legs - no strength involved.

Username34 said:
The push is coming from their legs, independent of back/arms. I was into boxing, and I got dropped on my head by good wrestlers more than once.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Mondayman said:
The push is coming from their legs, independent of back/arms.
Yes, that's true, the wrestler is pushing himself forwards and hopefully through the opponent with his legs. But my interpretation of the OP was that it was referring to upper body pushes/punches. These are very different motions. Rereading, the OP is far from clear, other than focusing on the back.

Broadly speaking this sounds like a sports biomechanics question - and, in an also broad sense - it is just a matter of applying laws of mechanics to a body seen as a system of joints, levers and effectors.

So, start with a good understanding of the Newton mechanics (part of training of any physicist or mechanical engineer), draw the schematics of the body with long bones as levers and joints as rotation points (basic anatomy), see what kind of forces/moments you are looking for, see how to get them from the system and how to optimize the system to make them higher. You will find that you need a stronger effector here, a longer lever there - just translate these into the overall frame.

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
russ_watters said:
Ow, my arm! You're twisting it! Stahp! Ok, fine, here it is:

View attachment 330873

I'm the one in front. Yes, I won. This was one of two times I made the paper, and my mom bought and framed the print. In fairness though, I was engaging my left pect in this photo, not my back.

[edit]
On second thought, I was pulling my left arm forward, but also pushing back up into my opponent with my legs, which would engage my back muscles as well.
That's a great picture!

Likes russ_watters
Username34 said:
Quora section on mechanical power in martial arts. I can't find the post. What is your first intuitive reaction to why a larger back gives an advantage in delivering mechanical power? Is it momentum or strength related? Can an average back not utilize as much strength in the joints? Or can they not generate as much momentum in the action?
Read all the replies, all relevant and I will add this.
If you have a skinny back, you may have a skinny something else.
Train all of your body parts, you cannot ring fence your lats for instance without training your arms when you are doing chins.
You cannot train your legs doing squats without involving your back.
You cannot train your chest doing bench press with out training your front delts, triceps, forearms and hands!

Ask the gym instructor, get the right diet and you will get stronger and bigger all over, not just your lats.

A lot of the strength in wrestling involves lifting and twisting your torso by pushing on the floor with hands and feet. The upper body leverage is facilitated by broad shoulders. I was a very bad wrestler in high school and understand too well the physics of "sitting out" as an escape move. Also "bridging" to avoid the pin......

1. Why is having a big back advantageous for delivering mechanical power?

Having a large back allows for a greater surface area for muscles to attach to, increasing the strength and power of movements. It also provides a stable base for the spine, allowing for more efficient transfer of force.

2. How does a big back help with mechanical power?

A large back allows for the development of bigger and stronger muscles, which are necessary for generating and delivering mechanical power. It also provides support for the spine, allowing for more efficient use of the muscles.

3. Can a person with a small back still deliver mechanical power?

Yes, a person with a small back can still deliver mechanical power. However, they may not have the same level of strength and power as someone with a larger back due to the limited muscle attachment points and stability.

4. Are there any disadvantages to having a big back for delivering mechanical power?

While a big back can provide advantages for delivering mechanical power, it can also lead to imbalances and potential injuries if not properly trained and maintained. It is important to have a well-rounded exercise routine that targets all muscle groups.

5. How can one develop a bigger back for better mechanical power?

The most effective way to develop a bigger back is through resistance training exercises that target the back muscles such as pull-ups, rows, and deadlifts. Consistency and proper form are key in building a strong and powerful back.