Why is the area of infinite small annulus 2πr dr?

In summary, when calculating the area of an annulus using calculus, the correct way is to take 2πrdr instead of just πrdr. This is because the area of a disk is actually 2πrdr, which is the area of an annulus with a very small width. Taking the rate of change of area with respect to change in r also yields the same solution.
bolzano95

Homework Statement

When I have a disk with radius r then naturally the area is πr^2. Then I want to do this by calculus and my first step is simply taking πrdr. But the correct way is to take 2πrdr. To me this is really confusing, because I would never take 2πr dr (circumference x width).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, wiki says when you integrate you get this you get the same solution as without using calculus. So the way to remember this is kind of reversed way- you know what is the solution, but you still have to put something into the integral to calculate?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the area of a disk that is 2π r dr, it is the area of an annulus with a very small width. The area of a disk is π r^2. The area of an annulus is π ro^2 - π ri^2, where ro is the outer radius and ri is the inner radius. If the width of the annulus is very thin, then you can take ro = r, and ri = r - dr.
Then A = π (r^2 - (r-dr)^2) = π (r^2 - (r^2 - 2r dr + dr^2)) = 2π r dr - π dr^2. Neglecting the term in dr^2 gives 2π r dr.

Likes PeroK
bolzano95 said:
Then I want to do this by calculus and my first step is simply taking πrdr.

so, if you want to do using calculus what do you get ?

why not take rate of change of area with respect to change in r .

then write change in area...

Thank you, phyzguy, this really helped me! :)

Related to Why is the area of infinite small annulus 2πr dr?

1. Why is the area of an infinite small annulus equal to 2πr dr?

The area of an annulus is the difference between the area of the outer circle and the area of the inner circle. In the case of an infinite small annulus, the inner circle has a radius of 0, making its area equal to 0. Thus, the area of the annulus is equal to the area of the outer circle, which is given by 2πr dr.

2. How does the radius of the annulus affect its area?

The area of an annulus is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius of the annulus increases, its area also increases. This relationship is represented mathematically by the formula A = 2πr dr, where A is the area and r is the radius.

3. Why is the area of an annulus important in mathematics?

The area of an annulus is an important concept in geometry and calculus. It is used to calculate the area of curved shapes and is also used in integration to find the area under a curve. Understanding the concept of an annulus is crucial in higher-level mathematics and physics.

4. Can the area of an annulus be negative?

No, the area of an annulus cannot be negative. This is because area is a measure of space, and space cannot have a negative value. In the case of an annulus with a negative radius, the formula A = 2πr dr will still yield a positive value for the area, as the radius will be squared.

5. How is the area of an annulus different from the area of a circle?

The area of an annulus is the area of the space between two concentric circles, whereas the area of a circle is the area of the circle itself. This means that the area of an annulus will always be larger than the area of a circle with the same radius. In the case of an infinite small annulus, the area is the same as the area of the outer circle, while the area of a circle with a radius of 0 is 0.