1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of an annulus with variable mass density

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1
    Hey guys, I just wanted to check if my method for solving this problem is correct.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an annulus with inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. The mass density of the annulus is given by σ(r)=C/r, where C is a constant. Calculate the total mass of the annulus.

2. Relevant equations
    σ(r)=C/r
    dm=σ(r)dA, assuming we can split the annulus into small shells with area dA.
    dA= 2πrdr, where r is the radius from the centre of the annulus to the shell, and dr is the thickness of each shell

3. The attempt at a solution
    If we split the annulus into small shells, like I said above, and sum up their masses through an integral, we should get the total mass (assuming that R2 and R1 are the upper and lower limits of integration respectively):

So, we get m=∫2πr(C/r)dr after combining the equations above, simplifying gives m=2πC∫dr

Integrating with the limits gives m=2πC(R2-R1).

Is this logic correct? Thanks heaps guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted