Why is the electroweak cross-section zero at Z boson mass?

In summary, the Standard Model formula for the cross-section of ##e^+e^-\rightarrow\mu^+\mu^-## consists of three components: QED interactions, weak interactions, and electroweak interference. The electroweak part goes to zero at the energy of ##\sqrt{s}=M_Z## due to the rotation of the phase of the Z propagator at resonance, resulting in no interference with the photon term. This leads to a negative cross-section below resonance and a positive cross-section above, without any asymmetry involved.
sk1105
The Standard Model formula for the cross-section of ##e^+e^-\rightarrow\mu^+\mu^-## is made up of 3 components: QED interactions, weak interactions, and electroweak interference. I understand the behaviour of the QED part, and the resonance that occurs in the weak part at ##\sqrt{s}=M_Z##, but can anyone explain why the electroweak part goes to zero at this energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "electroweak part goes to zero"? If you look at the cross-section, it has a maximum at that energy value, and this maximum comes from the electroweak interaction.
Splitting it in three components seems to be a bit arbitrary.

I suppose it is a bit arbitrary, but it's just what we were taught. If I plot the differential cross-sections with respect to polar scattering angle, the electroweak component is zero for all angles. After integrating to get the full cross-section and plotting as a function of C.O.M. energy, the electroweak part goes from negative to positive (I understand this comes from forward-backward asymmetry) and passes through zero at ##M_Z##. I've been searching for a reason for these two observations and nothing I've found so far has completely answered my question.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "electroweak part goes to zero"?

I believe what he calls "electroweak part" refers to the interference term between the diagram with the photon propagator and the diagram with the Z propagator.

Now this is my guess on what is going on, I did not really have time to check it in detail: The Z is an unstable particle and at the Z mass its propagator is regulated by the decay width of the Z, which adds an imaginary part to the denominator of the propagator. Far away from the resonance, this addition does not do much and the phase of the propagator would be essentially the same without it. However, at resonance, it rotates the phase of the propagator by 90 degrees, meaning it no longer interferes with the photon term.

The integrated cross section for the interference term is negative below resonance and positive above.

Nothing to do with an asymmetry. Simply that the z propagator is 1/(shat-mz^2) and this changes sign as you go through the propagator.

If you want to understand the form of the propagators on resonance, take 1/(shat-mz^2- i gam_z mz) and find the real part of this. For the z-z interference compute the real part of this propagator time it's complex conjugate.

1. What is the electroweak cross-section?

The electroweak cross-section is a measure of the probability that a particle interaction will occur at a certain energy. It takes into account both the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces.

2. Why is the electroweak cross-section important?

The electroweak cross-section is important because it helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also allows us to make predictions and test theories about particle interactions.

3. What is the significance of the Z boson mass in relation to the electroweak cross-section?

The Z boson mass is significant because it marks the point at which the electroweak cross-section becomes zero. This means that at this energy level, the weak nuclear force and electromagnetic force cancel each other out, resulting in no particle interactions.

4. Why is the electroweak cross-section zero at the Z boson mass?

This is due to the Higgs mechanism, which explains how particles acquire mass. The Higgs boson, which was discovered in 2012, interacts with particles and gives them mass. At the Z boson mass, the Higgs boson cancels out the weak nuclear force, resulting in a zero electroweak cross-section.

5. How does the electroweak cross-section change at energies above the Z boson mass?

At energies above the Z boson mass, the electroweak cross-section increases because the electromagnetic force becomes stronger than the weak nuclear force. This means that there is a higher probability of particle interactions occurring at higher energies.