Why is the following situation impossible?

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impossible situations and the reasons why they cannot occur. Factors such as conflicting laws of nature, logical contradictions, physical limitations, mathematical impossibilities, and natural laws contribute to a situation being impossible. While there may be potential workarounds or solutions, some situations may be fundamentally impossible to achieve. An example of a similar impossible situation is time travel to the past, which is currently not possible according to our understanding of physics and causality.
physics=world
1. Why is the following situation impossible? Two parallel copper
conductors each have length , L = 0.500 m and radius
r = 250 mm. They carry currents I = 10.0 A in opposite
directions and repel each other with a magnetic force FB =
1.00 N.

Homework Equations

3. I am thinking that it would be impossible since the magnetic field would cancel. is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
no they would not cancel

I think i need help understanding if this is two long parallel conductors or is it a circle?

opposite current carrying rods repel each other

Yes, your reasoning is correct. According to the right-hand rule, the magnetic field created by a current-carrying conductor is perpendicular to the direction of the current. In this case, since the two currents are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic fields they produce would also be in opposite directions, canceling each other out. This means that there would be no net magnetic force between the two conductors, making the situation described impossible.

1. Why is the following situation impossible?

The situation may be impossible due to conflicting laws of nature or logical contradictions that make it impossible for the scenario to occur.

2. Can you explain why this situation is impossible?

Yes, I can provide an explanation based on scientific principles and evidence.

3. What factors contribute to this situation being impossible?

Factors such as physical limitations, mathematical impossibilities, and natural laws may contribute to a situation being impossible.

4. Is there any way to make this situation possible?

It depends on the specific situation and if there are any potential workarounds or solutions that could make it possible. However, some situations may be fundamentally impossible to achieve.

5. Can you provide an example of a similar impossible situation?

One example could be time travel to the past, which is currently not possible according to our understanding of physics and the laws of causality.