Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is there a time unit in some inertia units and not in others?

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1
    Why are some inertia units lb-in-s^2 and others lb-in^2. what the difference? The first one is from a gear box spec and the second is from a motor rotor.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Guessing here...

If you want to use the pound mass for moment of inertia then an appropriate unit could be pound(mass) inch2.

If you want to use the pound force for moment of inertia then you have to first convert it to a unit of mass. For instance, the mass which would be accelerated at a rate of one inch per second squared by a force of one pound force. That unit of mass is also known as a "slinch". (A slug is what you get when you use feet instead of inches. A slinch is what you get when you use inches).

One pound force is one slinch-inch-second2. If you express moment of inertia in slinch-inch2 then that is the same as one pound(force)-inch-second2

[Yeah, yeah, we all know that the U.S. customary system of units is pathetic. No need to crow over it]

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To repeat what @jbriggs444 said with other words (I mean, for us who don't bother with the U.S. customary system :headbang: :oldwink:):

You could rewrite the presented units this way:
    • lbf.in.s²
    • lbm.in²
    Where one is a pound-force and the other is a pound-mass.

If you do a dimension analysis, the unit for inertia should be M.L² (Mass X Length²).

But from F= ma (or m = F/a), we know that a mass could be defined as F.T²/L (Force X Time² / Length).

Replacing in the inertia unit, we get M.L² = (F.T²/L). L² = F.L.T²; So both units are equivalent.

5. Jul 13, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

I agree that both units have the proper dimensionality to measure a moment of inertia. But I do not agree that the two units are the same. They are out by a factor of one g expressed in inches per second squared.

Visit, for instance,http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/EN/units-converter/moment-of-inertia/12-1/

6. Jul 13, 2016 #5

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I meant equivalent in the sense that they represent the same dimension (like bar and Pascal for units of pressure for example), but not necessarily by the same factor. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Jul 14, 2016 #6
    Ok this is a little more clear but if I may follow up with this. I went to this site mentioned above:
    http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/EN/units-converter/moment-of-inertia/12-1/
    and 1 pound-force inch second² = 386.0885865302 pound inch². So if I have a control system with several components I just add the inertia's together but they have to be the same units so all the pound-force inch second² components need to be multiplied by 386.09 in order to get a system inertia. This is all I need to do to get the system inertia, correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

8. Jul 14, 2016 #7

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, 386.0885865302 is the conversion factor to establish the relation between those 2 units.

Since weight = mass X g, therefore lbf = lbm X g, where g = 386.0885865302 in/s². Thus:

1 lbf.in.s²
    = 1 X lbf X in X s²
    = 1 X (lbm X 386.0885865302 X in / s²) X in X s²
    = 386.0885865302 X lbm X in²
    = 386.0885865302 lbm.in²

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted