Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Why is this matrix undefined?

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    3D + E

D = 2 x 3

-1 2 3
    4 0 5

E = 3 x 2

2 1
    8 -1
    6 5

D has 3 columns, and E has 3 rows ???

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    Oh crap, ignore me ... LOL, I'm thinking inner product rules ... :p

4. May 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

??? What matrix are you talking about? You give two matrices, D and E, both of which are defined because you just defined them.

The product DE is also defined but ED is not. Is that what you are talking about? Do I get a prize for guessing that?

The product of of two matrices, A and B can be defined as "the ij-component is the dot product of vectors consisting of the ith row of A and the jth column of B".

ED is not defined because each row of E has 2 components while each column of D has 3 components. You cannot take the dot product of two such vectors.

As you point out, the number of columns of D and the number of rows of E are the same- that is why DE is defined.

5. May 4, 2008 #4
    Sorry Ivy! I misread the problem and kept thinking I was multiplying the two, the problem actually asks the addition of the two. I'm not actually doing the problem, just skimming through the section.

6. May 5, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps less skimming and more 'doing' is in order! :wink:

7. May 5, 2008 #6
    LOL, I know I should be doing the problems :( But, I did the examples and looked over the rules. I plan on doing a a good review after finals :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook