• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Why is this matrix undefined?

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
3D + E

D = 2 x 3

-1 2 3
4 0 5

E = 3 x 2

2 1
8 -1
6 5

D has 3 columns, and E has 3 rows ???

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Oh crap, ignore me ... LOL, I'm thinking inner product rules ... :p

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
??? What matrix are you talking about? You give two matrices, D and E, both of which are defined because you just defined them.

The product DE is also defined but ED is not. Is that what you are talking about? Do I get a prize for guessing that?

The product of of two matrices, A and B can be defined as "the ij-component is the dot product of vectors consisting of the ith row of A and the jth column of B".

ED is not defined because each row of E has 2 components while each column of D has 3 components. You cannot take the dot product of two such vectors.

As you point out, the number of columns of D and the number of rows of E are the same- that is why DE is defined.

Sorry Ivy! I misread the problem and kept thinking I was multiplying the two, the problem actually asks the addition of the two. I'm not actually doing the problem, just skimming through the section.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm not actually doing the problem, just skimming through the section.
Perhaps less skimming and more 'doing' is in order! :wink:

Perhaps less skimming and more 'doing' is in order! :wink:
LOL, I know I should be doing the problems :( But, I did the examples and looked over the rules. I plan on doing a a good review after finals :)