Time Dilation Equation: Why is it to the Power -1/2? | AQA Exam Board

In summary, the time dilation equation is a consequence of the Einstein postulates. It's a straightforward consequence of the equation for hyperbolic-tangent, which can be written in terms of hyperbolic-cosine.
AishaGirl
Hello, AQA is a British exam board and on their paper they have a list of equations. Can someone tell me why the time dilation equation is to the power -1/2?

368440598af9536ec10eb1e6c88f258d.png

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AishaGirl said:
Hello, AQA is a British exam board and on their paper they have a list of equations. Can someone tell me why the time dilation equation is to the power -1/2?
You can get this result in several ways.
1) Consider the time for a single tick of a light clock, using in a frame in which the clock is in motion; and compare with the time for a single tick of the same clock using a frame in which the clock is at rest. Google or a search of this forum for "light clock" will find many good explanations.
2) Calculate the time dilation directly from the Lorentz transformations. To do that you'll need to know what these transformations are and how they're used, but you'll need that to understand any of the relations of special relativity anyway. Again, Google for "Lorentz Transformation" will find many good explanations.

If you find that you need more help after you've tried those two approaches... Come back and show us what you tried and where you got stuck and we can help you over the hard spot.

Likes AishaGirl
It's a straightforward consequence of Einstein's postulates. I don't think there's more "why" than that. I'd look up the light clock thought experiment, which will let you derive the Lorentz transforms from scratch. The time dilation equation is a special case. I think that's the best answer I can give.

Edit: beaten to it by Nugatory. Not sure why I didn't see that...

By following @Nugatory 's suggestion, you'll eventually end up with this identity involving hyperbolic trigonometric functions
##\cosh\theta=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\tanh^2\theta}}## [in some form, whether you recognize it or not.]

The following might be a little over level-B... but it might be worth it.
Geometrically, time-dilation arises from a dot-product in spacetime
(since one is projecting the other observer's segment [a hypotenuse] onto the measuring observer's leg--this involves a hyperbolic-cosine).
Since physicists prefer velocity (instead of rapidity-angle) where ##(v/c)=\tanh\theta##, one uses the above identity to write hyperbolic-cosine in terms of hyperbolic-tangent. Thus we see factors like ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}.##

Some possibly helpful analogies...
The Euclidean analogue ##\cos\theta=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\tan^2\theta}}## would be used to replace ##\cos\theta## with an expression involving a slope ##m##: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+m^2}}.##
The Galilean [i.e. non-relativistic] analogue is ##\rm{cosg\ }\theta=1## (called a Galilean-cosine, as suggested by the mathematician IM Yaglom)... which could represent the Galilean limit of the expression in Special Relativity. Note there is no dependence on velocity here.

1. Why is the time dilation equation raised to the power of -1/2?

The time dilation equation, t' = t√(1-v²/c²), is raised to the power of -1/2 because it is a result of the Lorentz transformation, which is used to calculate the difference in time between two observers in relative motion. The -1/2 power is derived from the formula for the time dilation factor, γ = 1/√(1-v²/c²), which is then applied to the equation for time dilation.

2. How is the time dilation equation used in real life?

The time dilation equation is used in many real-life applications, such as in the field of particle physics, where high-speed particles experience time dilation due to their velocity. It is also used in GPS technology, as the satellites in the GPS system experience time dilation due to their high velocity in orbit. Additionally, the equation is used in space travel, where astronauts experience time dilation due to their high speeds relative to Earth.

3. What is the significance of the time dilation equation in the theory of relativity?

The time dilation equation is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of time and space. It is used to explain the difference in time experienced by observers in relative motion and is a key concept in understanding the nature of time and the universe.

4. How does the AQA exam board incorporate the time dilation equation into their curriculum?

The AQA exam board includes the time dilation equation as part of their A-level Physics curriculum, specifically in the topic of Special Relativity. Students are expected to understand the equation, its derivation, and its applications in real-life scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to the time dilation equation?

Like all scientific equations, the time dilation equation has its limitations. It is based on the assumptions of constant velocity and uniform motion, and it does not account for gravitational effects. Additionally, the equation is only accurate for objects traveling at speeds much slower than the speed of light. At very high speeds, more complex equations are needed to accurately calculate time dilation.