Understanding the Chain Rule in Differentiation: (d/dx)c=f'(a(x))(da/dx)

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the chain rule and using the notation of "fractions" in the limit to prove it. The poster is asking for clarification on how to get the equation from first principles and whether it is acceptable to treat the notation as fractions in the limit. They also mention the use of hyperreals, but the other poster assures them that the chain rule is necessary for this type of manipulation.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

(d/dx)c=(d/da)c(da/dx)

where c=f(a(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems correct because the da cancels but how do you get this from first principles?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to investigate the chain rule.

Could you possibly be a little bit more specific?

pivoxa15 said:

Homework Statement

(d/dx)c=(d/da)c(da/dx)

where c=f(a(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems correct because the da cancels but how do you get this from first principles?
"da/dx" and "dc/da" are NOT fractions so it is not correct to say that the "da" cancels!

radou said:
You may want to investigate the chain rule.

pivoxa15 said:
Could you possibly be a little bit more specific?
Are you saying you have never heard of the chain rule? You are being asked to prove the chain rule!
[tex]\frac{dc}{dx}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{c(x+h)- c(x)}{h}[/tex]
"Before" the limit, this is a fraction- you can cancel before the limit but be careful, this is not a trivial proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of the chain rule.

In fact I realize that the chain rule is just what I stated (d/dx)c=(d/da)c(da/dx)

HallsofIvy said:
"da/dx" and "dc/da" are NOT fractions so it is not corret to say that the "da" cancels!

But physicists and applied mathematicians like to treat them as fractions in the limit. Is it okay to treat them as fractions and specify "in the limit"?

pivoxa15 said:
But physicists and applied mathematicians like to treat them as fractions in the limit. Is it okay to treat them as fractions and specify "in the limit"?
Yes, because the derivative is the limit of a fraction, you can always treat them "like" a fraction- that's one of the advantages of the dy/dt notation over f '. And, in fact, it is motivation for defining the "differentials", dx and dy= f '(x) dx.

My point here was that, if you are being asked to prove the chain rule, you can't just "treat dy/dx like a fraction" since the chain rule is part of what allows us to do that.

If i was a pedantic bastard, I would say perhaps pivoxa15 was speaking of using hyperreals? Thank god I am not :D

If you do, I'll beat you around the head and shoulders with a 2 by 4!

FAQ: Understanding the Chain Rule in Differentiation: (d/dx)c=f'(a(x))(da/dx)

1. What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a composition of functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule in differentiation?

To apply the chain rule, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and evaluate it at the inner function. Finally, you multiply this result by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What does (d/dx)c=f'(a(x))(da/dx) mean?

This notation represents the chain rule in differentiation. The "d/dx" indicates that we are taking the derivative with respect to x. The "c" represents the composite function, "f" represents the outer function, "a(x)" represents the inner function, and "da/dx" represents the derivative of the inner function.

4. Why is the chain rule important in differentiation?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is especially useful when dealing with functions that are composed of multiple layers of functions, making it difficult to find the derivative using other methods.

5. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule in differentiation?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x) = sin(x^2), we can use the chain rule to find its derivative. First, we identify the outer function as sin(x) and the inner function as x^2. The derivative of the outer function is cos(x), and the derivative of the inner function is 2x. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is f'(x) = cos(x^2) * 2x.