Why Is Weight Expressed in Scientific Notation in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter YayPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: So the arrow is not needed for g itself.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining weight in a physics course. The solution is shown using the equation Fg = mg, with the answer expressed in both standard form and scientific notation. The conversation also touches on the use of scientific notation and the notation for vectors in equations.
YayPhysics
Hey,
I'm taking physics as a learn-at-home kinda course to get into school for electrical. I had a question about some of the logic and reason behind what the book is showing me as it doesn't explain much. The example question they gave is as follows:

Determine the weight of a 65kg student on earth( g= 9.8m/s2 [down]).

Given - g= 9.8m/s2 [down]
m = 65kg

Required - Fg=?

Equation - Fg = mg

Solution - Fg = (65kg)(9.8ms2)
Fg = 637N
Fg = 6.4 x 102N

More or less I wanted to know why the 637N was broken up to 6.4 x 102 and how I would go about extrapolating this from every question I come across from now on.

Any info is appreciated, I am new to physics and suck at math in general...

p.s. the g's in the equation should have an arrow pointing to the right over them but I have no clue how to write that on this thing...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Its just a convention man..more applicable for bigger numbers...like you can write 10000000 or 10^7 they would mean the same thing...its just for the ease of writing

YayPhysics said:
More or less I wanted to know why the 637N was broken up to 6.4 x 102 and how I would go about extrapolating this from every question I come across from now on.
They are just expressing the weight using scientific or exponential notation. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation" ) Note that they rounded off the answer to 2 significant figures instead of 3, which is more realistic since you only have the mass to 2 significant figures.

p.s. the g's in the equation should have an arrow pointing to the right over them but I have no clue how to write that on this thing...
While the acceleration is a vector, which you could express using that arrow notation, g itself is just the quantity 9.8 m/s^2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Is Weight Expressed in Scientific Notation in Physics Problems?

1. What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic level.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world and the laws that govern it. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and innovations that improve our lives. Many modern technologies, such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment, are based on principles of physics.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

4. What skills are needed to study physics?

To study physics, one needs to have strong analytical and mathematical skills. It is also important to have a curious and critical mindset, as well as the ability to think creatively and solve problems. Good communication skills are also necessary for presenting and discussing scientific ideas.

5. How can I apply physics in real life?

Physics has many practical applications in everyday life. Understanding principles of physics can help in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. For example, knowledge of physics can help in designing efficient buildings, developing new medical treatments, and creating renewable energy sources.