Why isn't this largest voltage source given as negative?

In summary, the current is flowing against the voltage gradient inside the component, but the voltage is given as positive because it is the dominant voltage source. The resistors have no polarity, but when you found out the direction of the current, there is a side that is a higher voltage than the other side.
kostoglotov
This isn't actually a homework problem, but it is an example in a my textbook that I have a question about...

2OglMH4.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/2OglMH4.png

Ok, I wanted to clarify some things. I understand that current flowing from a positive terminal to a negative terminal represents a positive voltage drop. I can see why the second voltage source (-8V) is a negative, since current is flowing against that voltage gradient within the component.

Two things

(1) the current is also flowing against the voltage gradient inside the 32V source, but the voltage is given as positive...is this because it is the dominant voltage source...so it represents not a voltage drop but a voltage rise, and as such, it is equivalent to a negative voltage drop...so a negative times a negative...?

(2) the resistors are passive elements, surely their polarities should be determined after we've figured out which way the current is flowing, no? Because the polarity of the bottom resistor should be reversed shouldn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The book exercise is trying to mislead you (it mislead me in first instance). The exercise is in fact trying to teach us a lesson in sign conventions: If it says -8V next to a circle with a + and a - sign, the idea is that the + voltage is 8 V lower than the - voltage. That is not meant to be a conclusion but is meant as a given !

That way you get a total voltage of 24 V over the two resistors and hence a current of 4 A.
In the top resistor the current is from left to right, so the side marked + is at a higher voltage than the side marked - and therefore v1 is positive.
In the bottom resistor the current is from right to left to, so the side marked - is at a higher voltage than the side marked + and therefore v2 is negative.

kostoglotov said:
(1) the current is also flowing against the voltage gradient inside the 32V source, but the voltage is given as positive...is this because it is the dominant voltage source...so it represents not a voltage drop but a voltage rise, and as such, it is equivalent to a negative voltage drop...so a negative times a negative...?

(2) the resistors are passive elements, surely their polarities should be determined after we've figured out which way the current is flowing, no? Because the polarity of the bottom resistor should be reversed shouldn't it?
(1) It (going from - side to + side) always represents a voltage rise if the value for v (32 V here) is positive (so also if it is not the dominant voltage source).
(2) resistors have no polarity, but -- as you say correctly -- when you found out the direction of the current, there is a side that is a a higher voltage than the other side.

The + and the - marks simply dictate a sign for v2. So if you connect a voltmeter (+ on left, - on right) then it shows ##-##8 V.

The example isn't trivial, but someone who doesn't understand it does not benefit and only getst more confused. So it's good you check!

A double check would be to repeat the exercise with -44 V on the right instead of - 8 V :smile: !

Likes kostoglotov

1. Why do some voltage sources have a negative value?

Some voltage sources have a negative value because they are considered to be in the opposite direction of the conventional flow of electricity. This is known as the reference direction, and it is used to determine the polarity of the voltage source.

2. How does a negative voltage source affect a circuit?

A negative voltage source can affect a circuit by reversing the direction of current flow. This can change the polarity of other components in the circuit and can also affect the overall behavior and function of the circuit.

3. Can a negative voltage source damage a circuit?

Yes, a negative voltage source can potentially damage a circuit if it is not properly managed. For example, if the negative voltage is too high, it can cause components to overheat or fail. It is important to carefully consider the impact of a negative voltage source on a circuit before using it.

4. Why are some voltage sources labeled as positive and others as negative?

Voltage sources are labeled as positive or negative to indicate the direction of conventional current flow. This is important for understanding the polarity of the source and how it will affect the rest of the circuit. Additionally, some components may only work with a specific polarity, so it is important to correctly label the voltage source.

5. Are there any advantages to using a negative voltage source?

Yes, there are certain advantages to using a negative voltage source in a circuit. For example, it can be used to create a negative bias in electronic devices, which can improve their performance. It can also be used to cancel out positive voltages in certain applications.