Why Does F Equal (mdv/dt = dmv/dt)?

• B
  • Thread starter OcaliptusP
  • Start date
In summary, the equation $$F=\frac{mdv}{dt}=\frac{dmv}{dt}$$ describes the relationship between force and the rate of change of velocity, and can be derived using either the Leibniz rule or the fact that mass is constant. However, in cases where mass is not constant, such as with a rocket, the equation may need to be modified.
OcaliptusP
The question i want to ask is why
$$F=\frac{mdv}{dt}=\frac{dmv}{dt}$$
I mean how can we move we in the fraction?
Is there are mathematical proof or comes from something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
OcaliptusP said:
The question i want to ask is why
$$F=\frac{mdv}{dt}=\frac{dmv}{dt}$$
I mean how can we move we in the fraction?
Is there are mathematical proof or comes from something else?
You can either simply say because ##m## is a constant, i.e. ##m## doesn't vary in time, or you could do it the long way with the Leibniz rule ##\frac{d}{dt}(m\cdot v)= (\frac{d}{dt}m)\cdot v + m \cdot \frac{d}{dt}v = 0 \cdot v + \frac{m \cdot dv}{dt}## which also uses that ##m## is independent of time, such that its differentiation along time becomes zero. So whether one uses ##\frac{d}{dt}(c \cdot F(t))= c \cdot \frac{d}{dt}F(f)## or ##\frac{d}{dt}c = 0## doesn't matter. As long as the mass doesn't vary in time, the two expressions are equal.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks for all your help.

There are cases where m is not constant with respect to time, such as in the differential equation for a rocket.

Likes sophiecentaur

What does the equation (mdv/dt = dmv/dt) mean?

The equation (mdv/dt = dmv/dt) is known as the Newton's Second Law of Motion. It states that the rate of change of an object's momentum (mv) with respect to time (t) is equal to the net force (F) acting on the object.

Why is the letter "F" used to represent force in this equation?

The letter "F" is used to represent force in this equation because it is a standard notation in physics to denote force. "F" stands for force in the SI (International System of Units) system of measurement.

What does the "m" and "v" stand for in this equation?

The "m" stands for the mass of the object and "v" stands for the velocity of the object. These are the two variables that affect an object's momentum and therefore, are included in the equation.

Why is the equation (mdv/dt = dmv/dt) important in physics?

This equation is important in physics because it helps us understand how forces affect an object's motion. It allows us to calculate the acceleration of an object when we know the force acting on it and its mass. This equation is also used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics.

Can this equation be applied to any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any type of motion as long as the motion is one-dimensional and the mass of the object remains constant. It is a fundamental equation in physics and is used to describe the motion of objects in various scenarios, including free fall, circular motion, and projectile motion.