Why removal of other electrons cause binding energy increase

In summary, in the XPS test, oxidation causes an increase in binding energy. This is due to the attraction between the nuclear and the 1s electron, as well as the shielding effect of outer-shell electrons. The shielding effect refers to the repulsion of the 1s electron by the outer-shell electrons, which also have a positive charge. Both forces act in the same direction, causing the inner electron to move towards the outer shell when the outer electron is removed. This can lead to a decrease in binding energy, causing confusion for some individuals.
2DEG
I'm talking about the chemical shift.

In XPS test, oxidation leads to the increase of binding energy. This is determined by:
1. attraction between nuclear and the electron
2. shielding effect from outer-shell electrons

My question is :
What does shielding effect mean? Shield what? The positive charge in nuclear attract 1s electron. Also, 1s electron will be repelled by outer shell electrons. It seems both of these two forces have the same direction.

I'm a bit confused despite having understood this ... can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
the nuclear attract electron with direction from outer to inner, and also, the outer-shield electron repels inner electron with the same direction. As a result, the inner electron will goes outer when outer electron removes, thus the binding energy seems to decrease.
I don't know where I'm wrong.

1. Why does removal of other electrons cause an increase in binding energy?

When electrons are bound to an atom, they are held in place by the attractive force of the positively charged nucleus. This attraction is known as the electrostatic force. When one or more electrons are removed, the remaining electrons experience a stronger attraction to the nucleus, causing an increase in binding energy.

2. How does the number of electrons removed affect the increase in binding energy?

The increase in binding energy is directly proportional to the number of electrons removed. This means that the more electrons that are removed, the greater the increase in binding energy will be.

3. Is there a limit to the increase in binding energy when removing electrons?

Yes, there is a limit to the increase in binding energy. This limit is known as the ionization energy, which is the minimum amount of energy required to completely remove an electron from an atom. Once this energy is reached, any additional removal of electrons will not result in a further increase in binding energy.

4. Why does the removal of an electron from an atom require energy?

When an electron is removed from an atom, energy is required to overcome the electrostatic force holding the electron in place. This energy can come from various sources, such as heat or light, and is known as the ionization energy.

5. Can the increase in binding energy be reversed by adding electrons back to the atom?

Yes, the increase in binding energy can be reversed by adding electrons back to the atom. This process is known as electron affinity, where the added electrons are attracted to the positively charged nucleus and lower the overall binding energy of the atom.