Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why semiconductor in Hall effect sensor?

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Why is a slab of semiconductor used instead of just a basic resistor. The charge would be pushed to either side by the magnetic field in the same way, would it not?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That's a good question. I would imagine that resistors are not used because they inherently limit the flow of current, which is not what you want with a hall effect sensor since it relies on current to operate (not to mention the fact that resistors typically consume a lot of power compared to a semiconductor device). A quick search only tells me that semiconductor devices are used because they offer superior operation, but I haven't been able to find out why yet. I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    Another possible reason (or perhaps part of the same reason) is that the charge carriers in P type semiconductors are holes (positive charges) instead of electrons. The Hall effect causes the electrons to migrate to one side of a conductor, and the holes to the other as I recall. Thus we could in theory use an N type for the electrons and a P type for the holes and maybe do some clever differential analysis. This is only speculation though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook