Why Should You Think Twice Before Using a Turkey-Fryer?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'll never be able to think of you the same way again you blood sausage eating monster! :rofl: Just kidding, I'd try anything once... Well, maybe not pig brains... :rofl:
Physics news on Phys.org
:smile:

That has to be the worst ever Scottish accent. Haggis is really nice if you get over what its made from :approve:

I'll have to catch that haggis clip.. He does put on entertaining skits. I saw him on the tube yesterday, eating a fried brain sandwich.. I believe they used pig brains.. They used to use cow brains. But with the whole bovine spongiform encephalopathy business, they've fallen out of favor.

That was brilliant.

The fried turkey show was splendid...as usual! I'm staying away from the haggis show.

I really liked Alton until he did the Iron Chef America show.

I still like "Good Eats" though. Speaking of turkey, has anyone tried his method for brining a turkey? I keep meaning to try it but just haven't gotten around to it.

FredGarvin said:
I still like "Good Eats" though. Speaking of turkey, has anyone tried his method for brining a turkey? I keep meaning to try it but just haven't gotten around to it.
I used his brining method a couple of years ago (last time I did a turkey) and it was fantastic!

I've been doing the turkey brining method ever since the Romancing The Bird episode came out (like 5 years ago now at least). It always gets rave reviews from the family. Amazingly enough it works no matter how large or small the turkey. You just need to make adjustments to the brining time depending on the size of the bird.

That does it. I'm cooking a turkey this weekend.

FredGarvin said:
That does it. I'm cooking a turkey this weekend.
Will you be risking the "fried" turkey? Even with the turkey derrick, I'm still too afraid.

lol...his accent changed to australian for a sentence or two

Evo said:
I used his brining method a couple of years ago (last time I did a turkey) and it was fantastic!
I'll have to try brining my next turkey before hickory-smoking it. I always brine salmon before smoking it - I don't know why it has not occurred to me to brine the turkeys.

Ugh I can't believe people actually eat that.

scorpa said:
Ugh I can't believe people actually eat that.

Me neither. When I first saw that show on T.V. I thought it was just a spoof. : I mean, who would eat those "bits and pieces'?

larkspur said:
Me neither. When I first saw that show on T.V. I thought it was just a spoof. : I mean, who would eat those "bits and pieces'?
You should have seen what we did with pigs that we slaughtered when I was a kid. NOTHING was wasted. The blood was collected and made into sausage, the large intestine was cleaned and boiled as casing for the blood sausage, the small intestines were cleaned and boiled for regular sausage. Liver, kidneys, tongues, jowels, brains were all processed. There wasn't much left over from a hog when we were done with it.

turbo-1 said:
You should have seen what we did with pigs that we slaughtered when I was a kid. NOTHING was wasted. The blood was collected and made into sausage, the large intestine was cleaned and boiled as casing for the blood sausage, the small intestines were cleaned and boiled for regular sausage. Liver, kidneys, tongues, jowels, brains were all processed. There wasn't much left over from a hog when we were done with it.
EEEEWWWW!

turbo-1 said:

I'll never be able to think of you the same way again you blood sausage eating monster! :smile:

Just kidding, I'd try anything once... Well, maybe not pig brains... :smile:

turbo-1 said:

Haha I remember in kindergarten we made sausage and some of the kids were like " that's what the casing is ??", long time ago but I still remember it.

My father said that he didn't really want to buy pork ribs (I love pork ribs) because he doesn't like pork (Some story about how he grew up on a farm blah blah blah...) I think I will show him turbo-1's post.

When I was little my mother would drive to an ethnic deli that sold blood sausage with tongue. It's actually not bad sliced really thin. I can still taste it to this day. It's not a taste you forget. It's almost black with the pink pieces of tongue in it.

Evo said:
When I was little my mother would drive to an ethnic deli that sold blood sausage with tongue. It's actually not bad sliced really thin. I can still taste it to this day. It's not a taste you forget. It's almost black with the pink pieces of tongue in it.
Blood sausage, sliced and sauteed with onions and potatoes were a wonderful winter breakfast. I grew up in a family heavily French-Canadian and the women were absolutely adamant about putting up blood sausages. It makes sense that as an iron supplement, it would have been a valuable nutritional resource in the winter. I remember the first time I was allowed to carry the wash-pan full of pig's blood from the barnyard to the house. It was a sign that even if you were a kid, you could be trusted. Drop a pan of intestines in the dirt, no big deal, spill a pan of blood in the dirt, and you would never live it down.

NOTHING usable from a pig was wasted - my female relatives toiled in the kitchen making use of every part. Lots of organ meats found their way to sausage, etc, and lots of scraps were boiled down with pig's feet to produce hogshead cheese. Bones were broken, scraped, marrow extracted, etc. When it was time to slaughter the pigs, the whole extended family came together to share the work.

Jeez guys! It's not that disgusting. Then again I guess I kinda grew up with it too.

Good ole "parts"

Black (or blood) pudding is a staple part of the full English breakfast. Its lovely :biggrin:

Like I said before about the haggis, once you get past what its made from it is actually surprisingly tasty. If you ever smell one cooking you will definitely want to taste.

I would probably like it. I just wouldn't want to know how it was made. :-p

Hagis sure seems to require a lot of boiling. I almost wouldn't trust it after that. :rolleyes:

Kurdt said:
Black (or blood) pudding is a staple part of the full English breakfast. Its lovely :biggrin:
I'd actually like some right now, but I haven't seen it anywhere for years. :frown:

Like I said before about the haggis, once you get past what its made from it is actually surprisingly tasty. If you ever smell one cooking you will definitely want to taste.
The ingredients from the video actually sound quite yummy.

The cutest food fetish I've seen on PF is Monique's love for nibbling chicken feet. I admit I've never had chicken feet before. :-p

theCandyman said:
Hagis sure seems to require a lot of boiling. I almost wouldn't trust it after that. :rolleyes:
Heh "boil it for three hours or three days". :smile:

Evo said:
Heh "boil it for three hours or three days". :smile:

No, no, it's "three hours AND three days, not a minute more!" :smile:

Evo said:
I'd actually like some right now, but I haven't seen it anywhere for years. :frown:

We'll have to start shipping it over.

:eek:

Mk said:
Jeez guys! It's not that disgusting. Then again I guess I kinda grew up with it too.

Good ole "parts"
Yeah, parts is parts. When hauling the scraps out of the kitchen, it is best not to get too inquisitive about where the "missing" parts ended up, if you are squeamish. :rolleyes: Hmm, weren't there eyes in this pig's head when I lugged it in?... I'm lugging out a skull and teeth...hmmm...

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
No, no, it's "three hours AND three days, not a minute more!" :smile:
Oh well, it's funny either way. :smile:

I love how the number of fingers he holds up never matches the number he says. :biggrin:

And that is one CATCHY bagpipe tune. :-p

Evo said:
Blood sausage is impossible to find here, these days. It seems to have fallen out of favor even in the small local specialty markets. It was a staple in my childhood, but family-made, not store-bought. It was spiced and it was thickened with barley - a rich food that smelled heavenly in the frying pan.

Aw, those crazy Brits. :bugeye:

"This rather medieval dish has a fanatical following. The humble black pudding even has a festival dedicated to it in northern England. In Ramsbottom, outside Manchester, hundreds compete annually in the World Black Pudding Throwing Championships. The bloody sausages are encased in ladies' tights and contestants hurl them at a 20ft-high stack of Yorkshire puddings".

Right. Ok... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_blackpudding.shtml

Destroying perfectly good blood sausage and yorkshire pudding? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Aw, those crazy Brits. :bugeye:

"This rather medieval dish has a fanatical following. The humble black pudding even has a festival dedicated to it in northern England. In Ramsbottom, outside Manchester, hundreds compete annually in the World Black Pudding Throwing Championships. The bloody sausages are encased in ladies' tights and contestants hurl them at a 20ft-high stack of Yorkshire puddings".

Right. Ok... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_blackpudding.shtml

Destroying perfectly good blood sausage and yorkshire pudding? :cry:
They THROW black puddings? My great-aunts would have pounded those cretins to a pulp!

Last edited by a moderator: