Study Physics: Benefits & Job Opportunities for Young Mscs

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying Physics and the job opportunities for a young Msc in Physics. The speaker shares their experience with studying Math and Physics and the rewarding experience it was for them. They also mention the desire to study Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and the fundamental interactions in the field of Physics. However, they also acknowledge the limited job opportunities for physics graduates and suggest considering a career in quantitative finance. The main takeaway is that one should only pursue a degree in Physics if they have a true passion for it and want to pursue a career in academic research.
Lorenzo Bellini
Hello, I'm new in the forum and.. I'm sorry for my English but I'm Italian.

I'm on this forum because I need other points of view.
I'm 17 and I'm in front of the choice of the University.

What do you think about studying Physics? And why study Physics? How are job opportunities for a young Msc in Physics?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lorenzo Bellini said:
What do you think about studying Physics?

For me, studying Math and Physics was probably the most rewarding experience in my life.

And why study Physics?

To gain “knowledge of nature”.

How are job opportunities for a young Msc in Physics?

You might want to consider Engineering Physics.

I know what is Engineering Physics.

I prefer Physics! Because in Engineering, I don't like very much technical examinations.
I love the idea of study Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, the 4 fundamental interactions..
But I also know that in the Bachelor, I will study classical physics. So i need to wait the Master.

My dream is to do research in Particle/Theoretical Physics..

But, on one hand there's the dream.
On the other hand there's the job..

Surely, an Engineer has more job opportunities than a Physicist, hasn't he?

Likes DeBangis21
You pretty much have the right idea. I just graduated with MSc in Physics and job specifically for physics grads are pretty scarce, and you still need to take into account of the different physics disciplines. Engineering grad jobs are more numerous by about two orders of magnitude. You should do physics only if you REALLY like it (looks like you do) and want to pursue a career in academic research. I still advise you do an internship or two during undergrad holidays just in case you change your mind like I did (heh, I was too ignorant and stubborn to listen when people told me this).

A somewhat common path for physicists to find non-academic jobs is to go into quantitative finance (or mathematical finance, computational finance, financial engineering, or whatever they call it in your university) and work with financial models, there are some postgrad programs for these but they tend to take two years so make sure you do all your career planning before you finish your undergrad.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I highly recommend studying Physics as it is a fascinating and diverse field that can open up many opportunities for you. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, and it is the foundation of many other sciences such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. By studying Physics, you will gain a deep understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the universe, and you will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

In terms of job opportunities, there are a wide range of career paths for young Mscs in Physics. You could work in research and development, where you would have the opportunity to explore cutting-edge technologies and contribute to new discoveries. You could also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, where your knowledge of Physics would be highly sought after. Additionally, many companies in finance, consulting, and data analysis are looking for individuals with a strong background in Physics to help them with complex problem-solving and data analysis.

Overall, studying Physics can lead to a fulfilling and exciting career, and I highly encourage you to consider it as an option for your university studies. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Study Physics: Benefits & Job Opportunities for Young Mscs

1. What are the benefits of studying physics?

Studying physics can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also provides a strong foundation for further education and a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and technology.

2. What job opportunities are available for young Mscs in physics?

Young Mscs in physics have many job opportunities, including research positions in universities and national laboratories, engineering roles in various industries, and teaching positions in schools and universities.

3. Are there any specific industries that value physics degrees?

Yes, there are many industries that highly value physics degrees, including aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and technology. These industries require highly skilled individuals with a strong foundation in physics to develop new technologies and solve complex problems.

4. Is studying physics a lucrative career choice?

Yes, studying physics can lead to a lucrative career with high earning potential. Physics graduates are in high demand and can command high salaries in industries such as technology, finance, and engineering.

5. What skills are important for success in a physics career?

Some important skills for success in a physics career include strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking abilities, attention to detail, and a curiosity for learning. Additionally, being able to communicate complex ideas effectively and work well in a team are also important skills for a successful physics career.