Why tan x=x as x approaches 0?

In summary: I was wrong, you're right about that. It would need the limit of the difference quotient of ##\alpha (x)## to be zero, which is not given. Sorry.I was wrong, you're right about that. It would need the limit of the difference quotient of ##\alpha (x)## to be zero, which is not given. Sorry.No problem, I just wanted to clarify that I was not trying to correct you. I am still thinking about my example to see if it could be made rigorous.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the tangent function and small values of x expressed in radians. The tangent function can be approximated by x for small values of
rishi kesh
Hi! In one of my textbook i saw the relation tan(x) = x where x is very small value and expressed in radians. I want to know why its true and how it actually works. I would appreciate someone's help :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch? A small part of the circle can be approximated by a straight line.
It is similar to the approximations ##\cos(x) \approx 1## and ##\sin(x) \approx x## for small x, and you can derive the approximation of the tangent that way as well.

rishi kesh said:
Hi! In one of my textbook i saw the relation tan(x) = x where x is very small value and expressed in radians. I want to know why its true and how it actually works. I would appreciate someone's help :smile:
One way to look at it is to take it as the linear approximation by the first derivative. We have ##\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{x=0}\tan(x)=(1+\tan^2(x))|_{x=0}=1## which means that the tangent function is locally approximated by ##x \longmapsto (\tan(x))_0' \cdot x =1 \cdot x##.

Another way is to use the Taylor series at ##x=0## which is ##\tan(x) = x + O(x^3)\,.##

Likes QuantumQuest
mfb said:
Did you draw a sketch? A small part of the circle can be approximated by a straight line.
It is similar to the approximations ##\cos(x) \approx 1## and ##\sin(x) \approx x## for small x, and you can derive the approximation of the tangent that way as well.
But why is it true for radians only? I solved on my calculator and this is what i saw :
Tan (0.12) = 0.12 (where 0.12 is radians)
But when x is in degrees
Tan(0.12) = 0.00209
What is happening here?please explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
rishi kesh said:
But why is it true for radians only? I solved on my calculator and this is what i saw :
Tan (0.12) = 0.12 (where 0.12 is radians)
But when x is in degrees
Tan(0.12) = 0.00209
What is happening here?please explain.
##\tan 0.12 \approx \tan 7° \approx [x + O(x^3)]_{at \, 0} = 0.12 \pm 0.002## which is close to ##0.12##.
##\tan 0.12° \approx \tan 0° \approx [x + O(x^3)]_{at \, 0} = 0 \pm 0## which is close to ##0.00209##.

You simply compare a value ##0.12## with its ##60-##fold value. But both are still in a very good approximation to ##\tan (x) \approx x##. Radians are the natural unit here, degree more because of historical reasons, habit and clarity for humans. The approximation ##\tan (x) \approx x## requires radians if taken numerically disregarding the units.

Likes rishi kesh
rishi kesh said:
But why is it true for radians only?
The series expansion of ##\tan x## is ##\tan x = x + \frac{1}{3}x^3 + \frac{2}{15}x^5+\cdots##, where the powers of ##x## get bigger and bigger. This means for any value of ##x > 1##, the higher power terms in the series will contribute proportionally more than the lower terms. So the approximation only really works well when ##x\ll 1##, because then the higher order terms die out quickly. If you use degrees instead of radians, then you're effectively using ##d = \frac{180}{\pi}x## and calculating ##\tan d## instead of ##\tan x##. Since ##\frac{180}{\pi}\approx 57.2##, you should expect to get ##\tan d \approx \frac{1}{57.2}d##. Doing a quick calculation:
$$0.12°\times \frac{1}{57.2} \approx 0.002098$$
in line with what you would expect.

rishi kesh said:
Hi! In one of my textbook i saw the relation tan(x) = x where x is very small value and expressed in radians.
No reputable book would say that tan(x) = x. The proper relationship is that ##\tan(x) \approx x## for values of x near 0 (and in radians).

rishi kesh said:
But why is it true for radians only?
Radians are the natural units for angles.

If you take a circle with radius 1, then the circumference is ##2\pi##. And there are also ##2\pi## radians in a revolution. So, the arc length of a circle radius 1 is equal to the angle in radians. The tangent function is defined as the ratio of lengths of a right triangle ##\frac{opposite}{adjacent}##. If you take a right triangle with a small angle, the length of the opposite leg is very close to the arc length of the circle next to it, and the length of the adjacent leg is very close to the radius of the circle. So, the tangent is very close to the angle in radians.

Likes Chestermiller, FactChecker and olivermsun
One can show using the L'Hopital's rule that
[tex]
\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\tan x}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac{1}{\cos ^2x} = 1
[/tex]
This immediately implies ##\tan x = x + \alpha (x) ##, where ##\alpha (x)\to 0 ## as ##x\to 0 ##. In other words, the closer you get to ##0 ##, the smaller the difference between ##\tan x ## and ##x ## becomes.

nuuskur said:
This immediately implies ##\tan x = x + \alpha (x) ##, where ##\alpha (x)\to 0 ## as ##x\to 0 ##. In other words, the closer you get to ##0 ##, the smaller the difference between ##\tan x ## and ##x ## becomes.
That is a much weaker statement than the ratio. It would also apply for ##2x=x+\alpha(x)##, for example, but approximating 2x as x is usually a bad idea.

It implies ##\tan x = x(1 + \alpha (x)) ##, where ##\alpha (x)\to 0 ## as ##x\to 0 ##

Likes QuantumQuest and nuuskur
Our statements are equivalent, although I like yours more as it is more explicit in a way.

The statements are not equivalent. Your second statement just says tan(x) and x have the same limit for x->0, that is a much weaker statement.

The ratio is a strong statement, my reply was commenting on the remark afterwards only.

Likes fresh_42
If ##\tan x = x + \alpha (x)##, then ##\frac{\tan x}{x} = 1 + o(x) ##. Conversely, if ##\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\tan x}{x} = 1 ##, then ##\tan x = x(1+\alpha (x)) =: x + \hat{\alpha} (x) ##. We just label things differently, it seems.

Besides, if their limits are the same in the viewed process, the ratio statement follows (in this case).

nuuskur said:
If ##\tan x = x + \alpha (x)##, then ##\frac{\tan x}{x} = 1 + o(x) ##.
That argument does not work in general, see my example with 2x instead of tan(x).
Conversely, if ##\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\tan x}{x} = 1 ##, then ##\tan x = x(1+\alpha (x)) =: x + \hat{\alpha} (x) ##. We just label things differently, it seems.
That direction is fine but that is a much weaker statement on the right side if you just require ##\hat \alpha(x)## to go to 0.

What you need to make the two statements equivalent is the condition that ##\displaystyle \frac{\alpha(x)}{x} \to 0## instead of ##\alpha(x) \to 0##.

Likes nuuskur
You are correct. I should have made my remainder term more explicit, hence my remark why I like yours more.

nuuskur said:
You are correct. I should have made my remainder term more explicit, hence my remark why I like yours more.
Your mistake goes deeper than sloppiness, because your concept of a (linear) approximation by the first derivative missed the point. It is essential that the normed direction tends towards zero not just the remainder term. We have ##\tan(0+v) = \tan(0) + \tan'(0)\cdot v + r(v)## and ##\lim_{v \to 0}\dfrac{r(v)}{||v||} =0##. This is the reason why @mfb's counterexample works, if this is not the case. You cannot skip the denominator.

Likes nuuskur
Khashishi said:
Radians are the natural units for angles.

If you take a circle with radius 1, then the circumference is ##2\pi##. And there are also ##2\pi## radians in a revolution. So, the arc length of a circle radius 1 is equal to the angle in radians. The tangent function is defined as the ratio of lengths of a right triangle ##\frac{opposite}{adjacent}##. If you take a right triangle with a small angle, the length of the opposite leg is very close to the arc length of the circle next to it, and the length of the adjacent leg is very close to the radius of the circle. So, the tangent is very close to the angle in radians.
This is the explanation i actually needed. But i want you to extend it a little bit, hopefully you will clear my doubt(please check my attachment). I will appreciate further reply from you :)

Attachments

• 1522847373700-707240553.jpg
    1522847373700-707240553.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 498
rishi kesh said:
This is the explanation i actually needed. But i want you to extend it a little bit, hopefully you will clear my doubt(please check my attachment). I will appreciate further reply from you :)
The photo you posted is the reason that we discourage images of work.
  1. The image is unreadable because it is so small.
  2. The image is rotated, making it difficult to read even if it were larger.

rishi kesh said:
You left out a PB in the length of the arc. The arc length should be AB = x PB.
In my example, I used a radius of 1, so PB = 1. But you don't have to make that assumption.

Khashishi said:
You left out a PB in the length of the arc. The arc length should be AB = x PB.
In my example, I used a radius of 1, so PB = 1. But you don't have to make that assumption.
Thanks for that

1. Why does tan x approach x as x approaches 0?

As x approaches 0, the angle of the triangle formed by the tangent function also approaches 0. This means that the opposite side of the triangle becomes very close to 0, making the ratio of opposite over adjacent (or tan x) equal to the adjacent side (or x).

2. How does this relate to the definition of tangent?

The definition of tangent is the ratio of the opposite side over the adjacent side in a right triangle. As x approaches 0, the opposite side becomes very small compared to the adjacent side, resulting in a ratio that is essentially equal to the adjacent side (or x).

3. Can you provide a visual representation of why tan x=x as x approaches 0?

As x approaches 0, the angle of the triangle formed by the tangent function becomes smaller and smaller. This can be represented graphically by a line approaching the x-axis, where the value of x is equal to the value of tan x. As x gets closer to 0, the line gets closer to the x-axis.

4. Is this always true for all values of x?

No, this is only true for values of x that are very close to 0. As x gets larger, the angle of the triangle formed by the tangent function also gets larger, resulting in a different ratio between the opposite and adjacent sides.

5. How does this concept relate to the properties of limits?

This concept of tan x=x as x approaches 0 is a specific example of the general limit property of continuity. The limit of a function as x approaches a certain value is equal to the value of the function at that point if the function is continuous at that point. In this case, as x approaches 0, the limit of tan x is equal to the value of x at that point, making it a continuous function at x=0.