Whys should life not have a meaning ?

• Thread starter Langbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "meaningless life" and whether there are any advantages to living without a purpose or if there are any good reasons to argue against the idea of life having a meaning. It is suggested that each individual will develop their own meaning in life, whether intentionally or not, and that awareness of consequences is what gives life meaning. This is exemplified through the story of Gary Gasparov and his victory over a chess computer, which showed that the true source of meaning is our awareness and consciousness. The conversation also touches on the idea that animals and insects also live meaningful lives, further emphasizing the importance of awareness and consequences in giving life meaning.
Langbein
I tried to post the question "Why should life have a meaning ?" for a while ago, but as there seems to be no clear answers until now. Should then the question be asked the other way: "Why should life not have a meaning ?" ?

What could be the advantages of "the meaningless life" ?

Should there be any good reasons for arguing that life should not have a meaning ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what would be left for the meaningless life might be the meaning of life itself ?!

(Just a suggestion ..)

What could be the advantages of "the meaningless life" ?
One less thing to worry about.

Each individual will develop a meaning of life, intentionally or not. So it seems that is some meaning, even if by default.

while I was within a religious cult, it seemed to me that if I left my life would be a meaningless excersize in futility as everything would end up in my death and be for naught. When I exited the cult, I found meaning and purpose had not simply vanished as I had feared and pondered for a long time why that was so as no clear answer emerged for quite some time. Then I read of Gary Gasparov[?] and his victory and loss to Deep Blue the IBM chess computer. He remarked that when he did beat the machine, there was no one to gloat over, no one to acknowledge as his defeated foe, because Deep Blue did not care whether it won nor lost...it really never gave a $#!+ about anything it did and we humans do... and that showed me the REAL source of all meaning. we discover meaning in living because we are AWARE that our next move will have CONSEQUENCES for our own contentment. Our next move may bring pain or pleasure or oblivian and that is what matters to us in each moment. by extension we can project this on others and bring them into our goals and dreams as well. This also clarified why animals and insects live meaningful and purposeful lives while they are living them as well.

good explanation jiohdi

1. Why do some people believe that life has no meaning?

There are several reasons why people may believe that life has no inherent meaning. Some may argue that the concept of "meaning" is subjective and varies from person to person. Others may point to the apparent randomness and chaos in the world as evidence that there is no overarching purpose or plan. Additionally, some philosophical and religious beliefs suggest that life is a mere coincidence or that any meaning is simply imposed by humans.

2. What is the existentialist perspective on the meaning of life?

Existentialism is a philosophical movement that emphasizes individual existence, freedom, and choice. According to this perspective, life has no predetermined meaning or purpose. Instead, individuals must create their own meaning through their actions and experiences. This can be a daunting prospect for some, but for others, it provides a sense of agency and autonomy.

3. Can life have meaning without a higher power or religion?

Many people believe that the meaning of life is tied to a higher power or religious beliefs. However, others argue that meaning can exist independently of any specific religion or deity. For example, some may find meaning through relationships, personal growth, or contributing to society. Ultimately, the concept of meaning is subjective and can be found in a variety of ways.

4. How does the search for meaning impact our lives?

The search for meaning can play a significant role in shaping our thoughts, actions, and emotions. Some individuals may feel lost or unfulfilled without a clear sense of purpose, while others may find motivation and direction through their quest for meaning. Additionally, the pursuit of meaning can lead to personal growth and self-discovery.

5. Is it necessary for life to have a meaning?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. Some may argue that a sense of meaning is essential for overall well-being and satisfaction in life. Others may believe that life can still hold value and purpose without a specific meaning. Ultimately, the importance of meaning may vary from person to person.