Will Dark Energy Eventually Dominate Dark Matter in the Expanding Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of dark matter and dark energy, their effects on the expansion of the universe, and the potential for a 'mini' big rip or 'heat death' scenario in the distant future. While the amount of energy in the cosmological constant is extremely small and easily overpowered by gravity, the exact nature and behavior of dark energy and dark matter are still not fully understood. The conversation also touches on the idea of inflation and the role of dark energy in the early universe. However, since all of our understanding in cosmology is based on observations within the observable universe, it is still uncertain how these concepts may apply beyond that.
fsujoseph
From what I have gathered, dark matter is finite, correct? The more space expands, the less dense dark matter will be. So billions or trillions of years from today, space will have expanded a lot and the density of dark matter will decrease from a universal view. But if dark energy is a constant instead of being literal matter, then wouldn't that mean dark energy would start to over-dominate dark matter's "glue" affect and eventually everything would be alone, drifting in the vacuum of space?

I could be considered layman right now in my understanding of physics, but I would like input and discuss with you all

Space news on Phys.org
the amount of energy the cosmological constant has per cubic meter is extremely small, as such it is easily overpowered by gravity. Currently its roughly 6*10-10 joules per m3. Instead of the "big rip" which is what your essentially describing, its more likely we will end up in what is referred to as" heat death. The cosmological constant is as you implied a constant, Dark matter however remains a mystery, we have no knowledge of its interactions or decays, so one cannot tell you if the amount will remain the same finite amount. However as energy can be converted to matter, processes may exist to create more.

For that matter I've recently read papers that tried to state processes that create dark matter however those papers did not pass peer review so I will not post any reference to them here.

Mordred said:
the amount of energy the cosmological constant has per cubic meter is extremely small, as such it is easily overpowered by gravity. Currently its roughly 6*10-10 joules per m3. Instead of the "big rip" which is what your essentially describing, its more likely we will end up in what is referred to as" heat death. The cosmological constant is as you implied a constant, Dark matter however remains a mystery, we have no knowledge of its interactions or decays, so one cannot tell you if the amount will remain the same finite amount. However as energy can be converted to matter, processes may exist to create more.

For that matter I've recently read papers that tried to state processes that create dark matter however those papers did not pass peer review so I will not post any reference to them here.

I see... so it seems like we are heading towards a 'mini' big rip? Only the local galaxies will be within the visible universe many years from now. Is that accurate?

fsujoseph said:
I see... so it seems like we are heading towards a 'mini' big rip? Only the local galaxies will be within the visible universe many years from now. Is that accurate?

Local galaxies and possibly galactic clusers, yes that is the general consensus, but it is not a totally established fact simply because since dark energy isn't understood, we can't be completely sure how it will act.

The dark energy 'constant' only applies to the observable universe.

phinds said:
Local galaxies and possibly galactic clusers, yes that is the general consensus, but it is not a totally established fact simply because since dark energy isn't understood, we can't be completely sure how it will act.

Thanks, and yes I understand it's all hypothetical. While I've got your attention, I clicked the link in your signature and read how dark matter is causing inflation not expansion. Then I realize I never answered one of the most basic questions, or thought about it. If dark matter wasn't causing the expansion 8+ billion years ago, then what was?

Chronos said:

As far as we can tell?

fsujoseph said:
Thanks, and yes I understand it's all hypothetical. While I've got your attention, I clicked the link in your signature and read how dark matter is causing inflation not expansion. Then I realize I never answered one of the most basic questions, or thought about it. If dark matter wasn't causing the expansion 8+ billion years ago, then what was?

First of all, you are talking about dark energy and using the term dark matter. A slip of the figner, I assume.

Expansion is a result of the original actions of the universe. Dark energy is NOT causing the expansion, it is causing the ACCELERATION of the expansion. Please read my article more carefully. All of that is fully explained (well, described is probably a better term in this case than explained)

phinds said:
First of all, you are talking about dark energy and using the term dark matter. A slip of the figner, I assume.

Expansion is a result of the original actions of the universe. Dark energy is NOT causing the expansion, it is causing the ACCELERATION of the expansion. Please read my article more carefully. All of that is fully explained (well, described is probably a better term in this case than explained)

Yes, mis-type. No where I am getting caught up is you said 8 billion years ago is when inflation began, so the 5 billion years of expansion was based solely from the force of the big bang? Gravity did not crunch in 5 billion years? That is my question

Chronos said:

Everything we understand in cosmology applies to the observable only. It is only an assumption that the same physics apply beyond that.

fsujoseph said:
Yes, mis-type. No where I am getting caught up is you said 8 billion years ago is when inflation began, so the 5 billion years of expansion was based solely from the force of the big bang? Gravity did not crunch in 5 billion years? That is my question

No, again I say, please read my article carefully. All of this is discussed. Dark energy is believe to have been around since the beginning, it's just that somewhere along the way matter became spread out enough that dark energy began to overpower gravity. Dark energy DID have an effect on the expansion before that, but it was overwhelmed by gravity (but less and less so until finally it started to dominate gravity).

phinds said:
No, again I say, please read my article carefully. All of this is discussed. Dark energy is believe to have been around since the beginning, it's just that somewhere along the way matter became spread out enough that dark energy began to overpower gravity. Dark energy DID have an effect on the expansion before that, but it was overwhelmed by gravity (but less and less so until finally it started to dominate gravity).

Ohh I see now! Thanks!

this quick and simplistic article gives a general chronology of the universe

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/apr/26/universe.physics

this recent post has some further articles that will aid your understanding, as well as help clarify some of the aspects you read in Phind's signature.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=736246#post4649459

in particular I would read the following

"What we have learned from Observational Cosmology" nice part of this article is that is very easily understood.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.4446

if you would like an excellent tool to understand cosmology I would recommend playing around with this calculator. You can graph any of the results as well as fine tune which parameters you wish to display.

http://www.einsteins-theory-of-relativity-4engineers.com/LightCone7/LightCone.html

the last link in my signature contains the user manual for the calculator, numerous examples are contained in the pinned thread "look 88 Billion years..."

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=634757

though I would jump to the later articles for the later revisions details

Related to Will Dark Energy Eventually Dominate Dark Matter in the Expanding Universe?

1. How do we know that dark energy is a constant?

Scientists have observed the expansion of the universe and have found that the rate of expansion is accelerating. This is consistent with the existence of a constant source of energy, known as dark energy, that is driving the expansion.

2. What is the evidence for dark energy being a constant?

The strongest evidence for dark energy being a constant comes from observations of Type Ia supernovae, which are exploding stars that have a consistent luminosity. By measuring the distance and brightness of these supernovae, scientists have been able to determine the rate of expansion of the universe and confirm the presence of a constant source of energy.

3. How does dark energy being a constant affect the future of the universe?

If dark energy is indeed a constant, it means that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerating rate. This will eventually lead to the universe becoming increasingly spread out and the distances between galaxies will continue to increase.

4. Can dark energy ever run out or change?

Based on current theories, dark energy is believed to be a fundamental property of the universe and is not expected to run out or change. However, there is still much that is unknown about dark energy and further research and observations are needed to fully understand its nature.

5. How does the constant nature of dark energy impact our understanding of the universe?

The constant nature of dark energy has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its future. It suggests that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely and that the universe will become increasingly colder and darker over time. This has led to the development of theories such as the "big rip" scenario, in which the expansion of the universe will eventually tear apart all matter and even the fabric of space itself.