Will the frame be inertial if no forces act on it?

In summary, a frame of reference is constructed by taking the origin and axes fixed in an object placed far away from all exerting bodies. This frame will be inertial if there are no external forces acting on it, but if the object is rotating with a constant angular speed, the frame will be non-inertial. This can be seen in the example of a ball spinning about its own axis without any external forces.
vissh
Hello :)
An object is placed far away from all the bodies that can exert force on it. A frame of reference is constructed by taking the origin and axes fixed in this object. Will the frame be necessarily inertial?

Hmm According to me, it should be an Inertial frame as No force acting on it and thus, no acceleration.
What do you think ^.^

Physics news on Phys.org
vissh said:
Hello :)
An object is placed far away from all the bodies that can exert force on it. A frame of reference is constructed by taking the origin and axes fixed in this object. Will the frame be necessarily inertial?

Hmm According to me, it should be an Inertial frame as No force acting on it and thus, no acceleration.
What do you think ^.^
Suppose that the object in question is rotating with constant angular speed?

Thanks for reply :)
Hootenanny said:
Suppose that the object in question is rotating with constant angular speed?
Hmmm yep in that case it will get acceleration towards center. But i can't think of an object whose internal forces can make that object Rotate about the object's axis. Can you give me an example or two (^.^)

vissh said:
Thanks for reply :)

Hmmm yep in that case it will get acceleration towards center. But i can't think of an object whose internal forces can make that object Rotate about the object's axis. Can you give me an example or two (^.^)
There needn't be any forces making the object rotate. Of course, the object will have some internal stress field, but that isn't important. Suppose you take a ball that is spinning with constant angular speed about its own axis in the absence of any external forces. This example satisfies the conditions in the question. If you were to associate a coordinate system with the ball such that it's origin in at the centre of the ball, the frame would necessarily be non-inertial since it is rotating.

:O Got it :)
Thanks nanny ^.^

Related to Will the frame be inertial if no forces act on it?

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How do you determine if a frame is inertial or not?

A frame of reference is considered inertial if it is not accelerating or rotating relative to other frames of reference. This can be determined by observing the motion of objects within the frame and checking if they follow the principles of Newton's laws of motion.

3. Can an object be in both an inertial and non-inertial frame at the same time?

No, an object can only be in one frame of reference at a time. However, its motion may appear different depending on the frame of reference it is being observed from. For example, a stationary object in an inertial frame may appear to be accelerating when viewed from a non-inertial frame.

4. How does the concept of inertial frames relate to relativity?

In relativity, the concept of inertial frames is crucial in understanding the principle of relativity which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames. This means that the laws of physics hold true regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

5. Are all frames of reference in the universe inertial?

No, not all frames of reference are inertial. In fact, most frames of reference in the universe are non-inertial as they are either accelerating or rotating due to the effects of gravity or other forces. Inertial frames are idealized frames that serve as a reference point for understanding motion and the laws of physics.