1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will this stick spin if it has no pivot?

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

Here is what I am trying to understand qualitatively. It is NOT a homework problem:

A long, one-dimensional rod of mass M and length L is in free space. There is no gravity, no forces, and no pivot. Its just a rod sitting there, floating, with nothing else around. Let's say its L=0 end is at the origin (y=0), and its L=L end at a positive y=L. Suppose I strike the y=L end of the stick in the +X direction. By Newton's Inertial Law, the stick should move translationally as I transferred momentum to it. But will it spin? I can't figure that out.

I thought perhaps that it might. I tried to think of the stick as comprised of many atoms attached to each other by springs. I made some simplifying assumptions. The atoms at the y=L of the stick that recieve the WHACK will experience a force via an impulse in the pure positive X direction as long as I am in contact (however brief) with the y=L end. The atoms at the y=L end will also experience a restoring force due to thier neighboring atoms trying to pull them back. That restoring force would point towards the third quadrant. The restoring force and my impulse force would produce a net force pointing towards the fourth quadrant, and hence I would have a clockwise torque. Thus, I would conclude the rod will indeed spin as it moves off.

How am I doing?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It will spin.

The force applied is at a non-zero distance from the centre of mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook