WIMPs vs. MACHOs: Exploring Dark Matter Candidates

• Thread starter Quds Akbar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wimps
In summary, there has been much debate about whether WIMPs or MACHOs are better candidates for Dark Matter. While WIMPs are more commonly accepted due to their larger existence, some argue that MACHOs could also be a simple explanation. However, the evidence of dark matter found in the CMB data suggests that MACHOs, or any form of ordinary matter, cannot account for it. This is due to constraints from Big Bang Nucleosynthesis and assumptions made about the early universe. Therefore, MACHOs are not seen as a viable candidate for Dark Matter.
Quds Akbar
I have been thinking about this quite often, and I know that usually WIMPs are taken more seriously than MACHOs, and I know it is because MACHOS don't exist in such huge amounts, but why are they considered better candidates for Dark Matter?

Space news on Phys.org
Quds Akbar said:
I have been thinking about this quite often, and I know that usually WIMPs are taken more seriously than MACHOs, and I know it is because MACHOS don't exist in such huge amounts, but why are they considered better candidates for Dark Matter?
The evidence of dark matter is seen clearly in the CMB, which was emitted before any compact objects could have formed.

Aha, I had been wondering about this quite a while, why have MACHOs been discounted as a DM candidate by most people working on it.
The idea that DM could be explained by there being a large amount of small material objects which simply are not visible to us because they are too small and dark always did seem like a simplest explanation to me.
Is the evidence of DM existing in the CMB data a hard certainty, or is it the 'strongly likely' category?

There are certain asumptions used that could affect our interpretations regarding dark matter. For example, it is assumed radiation density in the early universe was fixed. If you relax that assumption other interpretations are possible. See http://background.uchicago.edu/~whu/intermediate/driving2.html for discussion. There was a time it was speculated primordial black holes could account for dark matter, but, after extensive study and analysis of the permissible mass range for PBH's has nearly exhausted any possibility of them as a dark matter candidate.

Also, Big Bang Nucleosynthesis very tightly constrains the baryon content of the universe, and the required baryon content is quite consistent with what is derived from the CMB. So the dark matter can not be made of ordinary atoms. This pretty much eliminates MACHOS as a possibility.

1. What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be observed directly because it does not emit or absorb light. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. By studying dark matter, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. What are WIMPs and MACHOs?

WIMPs and MACHOs are two of the most widely studied candidates for dark matter. WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) are theoretical particles that interact with regular matter through weak nuclear forces. MACHOs (Massive Compact Halo Objects) are objects such as black holes, neutron stars, or brown dwarfs that are too small to emit light but have enough mass to affect the motion of stars and galaxies.

3. How are scientists trying to detect WIMPs and MACHOs?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to detect WIMPs and MACHOs. One approach is to search for the indirect effects of dark matter, such as the radiation produced when dark matter particles annihilate. Another method is to look for the gravitational lensing effect caused by dark matter on the light from distant objects. Direct detection experiments involve looking for collisions between dark matter particles and regular matter in underground detectors.

4. What are the current theories about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, but the most widely accepted one is the Cold Dark Matter (CDM) theory. This theory suggests that dark matter is made up of slow-moving particles that were created in the early stages of the universe. Other theories propose that dark matter is made up of particles that interact with each other through additional forces beyond the known fundamental forces of nature.

5. How will the study of WIMPs and MACHOs help us understand the universe better?

Studying WIMPs and MACHOs will help us understand the structure and evolution of the universe on a large scale. By learning more about the properties and behavior of dark matter, we can gain insights into the formation of galaxies, the distribution of matter in the universe, and the overall fate of the universe. Additionally, the discovery of new dark matter particles could also have implications for our understanding of particle physics and the fundamental laws of nature.