1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Car Theory .for assignment

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    Wind Car Theory.....for assignment....

I am a student and i have to explain the wind car theory. I really need help. I need to come up with equations and real explanation. I'd be really happy if you could help me.
    You can email me at : ngkho@yahoo.com.hk
    Sorry again for posting my message here.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have absolutely no idea what "wind car theory" means! Could you give us some idea what you are talking about?
  4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    my topic is:
    construct a car which is propelled solely by wind energy. the car should be able to drive straight into the wind. Determine the efficiency of your car.

I just need some theory of how a wind car that push by wind.....thx
  5. Oct 27, 2004 #4
    no one has an idea????
    plx help.......
  6. Oct 27, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What makes you think it is even possible for a car powered solely by wind to drive straight into the wind? You could get it to tack into the wind with sails but not straight into it.
  7. Oct 27, 2004 #6
    what do u mean??? i can't really understand......
    is there any equations relevent to a windcar??? because that assignment needs equation too.....thx
  8. Oct 27, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea whether this could work but you might want to think about a car with two vertical sails - one on the left and one on the right. They would act like airplane wings providing "lift" normal to their surface. By rotating the sails such that their back ends extend outward from the car you can produce a component of "lift" in the forward direction with the sideways "lift" of the two sails cancelling out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?