1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Load Formula

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    I'm not sure where to post this, so please excuse me if this is misplaced. I need help understanding how the terms are grouped in this formula for A = pressure normal to the roof. If any of you are familiar with this formula or can link me to a source containing better expressed formulas like this one I'd appreciate your help. I'm posting a screen shot of the formula from a textbook I'm looking at. It looks something like:
    A = Fsinx^1.84cos-1

Apparently it's a formula belonging to someone called Charles Hutton and it looks something more like Pn= P(sinx)^(1.842cosx-1) I just want to double check whether the exponent is really (1.842cosx-1) and not something like 1.842cos(x-1).

http://i33.tinypic.com/13z6fqt.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have never heard of it, but there is another source I found that references it as well (it even talks about the experimental basis for the equation):

http://www.archive.org/stream/sixmonographsonw00flemrich/sixmonographsonw00flemrich_djvu.txt

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cuad: First, from other sources, we know your attached image in post 1 is missing parentheses around sin theta. Secondly, because addition and subtraction have a low precedence of arithmetic operations, unlike multiplication, we know addition and subtraction expressions can be passed to a function only if the addition or subtraction expression argument is enclosed in parentheses, such as cos(x - 1). Therefore, we know the formula is Pn = P*(sin theta)^[(1.842*cos theta) - 1].

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4
    Hi everyone. Thank you guys for clarifying that for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook