What is the force of wind resistance on a sign attached to a vehicle?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force pushing against a sign attached to a vehicle. The formula D=\frac{1}{2}*C_D*r*v^2*A is used, with the values for A, v, r, and C_D being 42.672 m^2, 35.7632 \frac{m}{s}, 1.229 \frac{Kg}{m^3}, and 1.28, respectively. The calculation results in a force of 42929 N or 9651 lbs, which is higher than expected. The speaker questions the accuracy of the calculation and expects the force to be in the range of 150 to 200 lbs.
Taiki_Kazuma
Okay, so here's the thing...

[tex]D=\frac{1}{2}*C_D*r*v^2*A[/tex]

I need to find the Force pushing against a sign that is attached to a vehicle.

The area (A) of the sign is 60"X28" which is 42.672 [tex]m^2[/tex]

The velocity (v) that the vehicle will be moving is roughly 80 miles per hour which converts to 35.7632 [tex]\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

The next 2 I'm not sure about...

Air density (r) is 1.229 [tex]\frac{Kg}{m^3}[/tex]?
and
[tex]C_D[/tex] (Coefficeitn of friction) of this sign (which the broad side will be hitting the wind head on) is 1.28?

So I did all this calculation and got

42929 N which is 9651 lbs. That is a hell of a lot of force. I was wondering if I did all this correct...please let me know. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Taiki_Kazuma said:
The area (A) of the sign is 60"X28" which is 42.672 m[tex]^2[/tex]
There's your error.

I would expect it to be in the 150 to 200 lb range.

What is wind resistance?

Wind resistance, also known as air resistance or drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air particles and the surface of the object.

How does wind resistance affect objects?

Wind resistance can slow down the speed of an object and cause it to use more energy to move. It can also change the direction of the object's motion and affect its stability and control.

What factors affect wind resistance?

The shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, and the density of the air are the main factors that affect wind resistance. The smoother and more streamlined an object is, the less wind resistance it will experience.

How can wind resistance be reduced?

Wind resistance can be reduced by making an object more aerodynamic, such as using a streamlined shape or adding a smooth surface. Reducing the speed of the object can also decrease wind resistance.

Why is wind resistance important in sports?

Wind resistance can significantly impact the performance of athletes in sports such as running, cycling, and skiing. Athletes often try to reduce wind resistance through techniques such as wearing tight-fitting clothing or using aerodynamic equipment to improve their speed and efficiency.