Wind Turbine Dynamics: Unraveling the Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the angle of attack of a wind turbine on the front lawn of Toronto, with the blades being almost perpendicular to the flow of air. The model of lift generated by the blades is discussed, with the understanding that the lift acts to increase the rotation of the rotor. It is suggested that the angle of attack may be beyond stall angle, but it is clarified that the actual angle of attack is the relative wind caused by the spinning blades. The concept of apparent wind is brought up and it is mentioned that in a sailboat or wind turbine, the angle of attack may not always be parallel to the direction of motion due to dependence on the wind. It is also mentioned that by calculating the rpms and estimating the diameter
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Nope. I'm still having trouble. I asked about this before, but it's still not gelling for me.

There's a wind turbine on the "front lawn" of the city of Toronto that I pass every day. Its blades are never more than ~20 degrees from flat, i.e the blades are almost perpendicular to the flow of air. If my model of lift generated by the blades is correct*, that represents a ~70 degree angle of attack. Surely that's beyond stall angle.

What am I missing? Perhaps there's something about 'relative' angle of attack based on slow wind speed and fast blade movement?

* my understanding of wind turbine blades is that you can liken it to a plane, with the turbine shaft as the fuselage and each blade as a wing. The lift generated by each blade is perpendicular to the shaft and is parallel to the plane of the rotor i.e. the lift acts to increase the rotation of the rotor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a very good chance that it is not really a turbine in the classical sense. It could be similar to a Pelton wheel which is a reaction turbine. With such a steep AoA, this makes a bit more sense that they are not relying on aerodynamics of lift but rather just trying to get as much frontal area perpendicular to the wind.

Nope. It's http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Windshare-toronto_hydro-wind_turbine-20030223.jpg/450px-Windshare-toronto_hydro-wind_turbine-20030223.jpg" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this:

"The rotation of the blades delays the static stall, because the centrifugal pumping results in Coriolis acceleration terms that induce favourable pressure gradients. The result is that boundary layer separation is delayed. "
http://aerodyn.org/Rotors/wturbine.html

...which is sort of what I was alluding to in the OP - even though I didn't know what I was tlaking about.

Ahh. I see. OK. Next theory.

DaveC426913 said:
Nope. I'm still having trouble. I asked about this before, but it's still not gelling for me.

There's a wind turbine on the "front lawn" of the city of Toronto that I pass every day. Its blades are never more than ~20 degrees from flat, i.e the blades are almost perpendicular to the flow of air. If my model of lift generated by the blades is correct*, that represents a ~70 degree angle of attack. Surely that's beyond stall angle.
If the blades are spinning, their motion contributes to the wind speed and the resulting relative wind is the actual angle of attack, not the angle of the blades wrt the wind.

http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/jw/sailing.html

Both a sailboat and a wind turbine, when starting from a dead stop will have a normal looking angle of attack that then increases as it accelerates. Ie, the blades will point toward the wind and as it accelerates, they will rotate to flatten-out. This is actually computer controlled and constantly being adjusted.

If you count the rpms and estimate the diameter and pitch angle at the tip and wind speed, you can calulate the tip speed, relative wind, and actual angle of attack.

DaveC426913 said:
* my understanding of wind turbine blades is that you can liken it to a plane, with the turbine shaft as the fuselage and each blade as a wing. The lift generated by each blade is perpendicular to the shaft and is parallel to the plane of the rotor i.e. the lift acts to increase the rotation of the rotor.
Yes, the resultant vector is always perpendicular to the chord of the airfoil. But the resultant vector isn't the lift vector, it is a combination of the lift and drag vectors. The lift vector is perpendicular to the relative wind direction.

But, while in an airplane you can change your aoa to make sure your lift vector points in the direction you want it to, in a sailboat and in a wind turbine, you are limited by your dependence on the wind (in an airplane, you make the wind go in the direction you want it to). So sometimes you have to accept a lift vector that isn't parallel to your direction of motion. Again, in the sailing website from above, you can see that when the boat is moving upwind, the force vector pushing the boat forward is tiny compared to the force vector pushing it sideways. But the centerboard of the boat (and the shaft of the windmill) constrains the motion to the direction you want.

russ_watters said:
Yes, the resultant vector is always perpendicular to the chord of the airfoil. But the resultant vector isn't the lift vector, it is a combination of the lift and drag vectors. The lift vector is perpendicular to the relative wind direction.

But, while in an airplane you can change your aoa to make sure your lift vector points in the direction you want it to, in a sailboat and in a wind turbine, you are limited by your dependence on the wind (in an airplane, you make the wind go in the direction you want it to). So sometimes you have to accept a lift vector that isn't parallel to your direction of motion. Again, in the sailing website from above, you can see that when the boat is moving upwind, the force vector pushing the boat forward is tiny compared to the force vector pushing it sideways. But the centerboard of the boat (and the shaft of the windmill) constrains the motion to the direction you want.
Yeah, I'm a sailor. So I get the apparent wind thing.

If you count the rpms and estimate the diameter and pitch angle at the tip and wind speed, you can calulate the tip speed, relative wind, and actual angle of attack.
Right, so, if some section of the blade is slicing the air at, say 50ft/s, and its angle were 20 degrees, then I can conclude that the wind at that point is moving past at 50*sin(20)?

Related to Wind Turbine Dynamics: Unraveling the Mystery

What is a wind turbine and how does it work?

A wind turbine is a machine that converts the kinetic energy of wind into mechanical energy, which is then used to generate electricity. It consists of a rotor with blades that spin when the wind blows, a shaft that connects the rotor to a generator, and a nacelle that houses the gearbox, controller, and other components. When the blades spin, they turn the shaft, which in turn rotates the generator to produce electricity.

What factors affect the efficiency of a wind turbine?

The efficiency of a wind turbine can be affected by several factors, including wind speed, air density, blade design, and turbine size. Higher wind speeds and lower air density can increase the amount of energy a wind turbine can generate. The design of the turbine's blades also plays a crucial role in its efficiency, as well as the size of the turbine. Larger turbines typically have higher efficiency due to their ability to capture more wind energy.

How do wind turbine dynamics impact energy production?

Wind turbine dynamics refer to the response of wind turbines to varying wind conditions, such as changes in wind speed and direction. These dynamics can have a significant impact on a wind turbine's energy production. For example, if the wind speed is too low, the turbine may not generate enough energy, and if the wind speed is too high, the turbine may shut down to avoid damage. Understanding and predicting wind turbine dynamics is essential for optimizing energy production.

What research is being done to improve wind turbine dynamics?

Scientists and engineers are continuously researching ways to improve wind turbine dynamics to increase energy production and reduce costs. This research includes developing advanced control systems, improving blade designs, and optimizing turbine placement and orientation. Additionally, studies are being conducted to better understand the effects of wind turbulence and how it can impact turbine performance.

What are the potential environmental impacts of wind turbine dynamics?

While wind turbines are a renewable energy source, their dynamics can have potential environmental impacts. For example, noise pollution from wind turbines can disturb wildlife and affect their habitats. Turbine blades can also pose a threat to birds and bats. However, research is ongoing to mitigate these effects and make wind turbines more environmentally friendly. This includes using better blade design and placement to minimize noise and developing technologies that detect and avoid wildlife.