Calculating Wind Velocity Given Force, Air Density

In summary, it is possible to determine the velocity of wind by measuring the force exerted on an object and knowing the air density and aerodynamic coefficient. This can be done through the use of a pito-static tube, which compares pressure in two chambers to calculate wind velocity. However, the process may require iteration or the use of data from real-scale or wind-tunnel measurements. Units must also be consistent in order to calculate the force.
Ry122
If I know the force that a wind is exerting on an object, is it be possible to determine what velocity the wind is moving at? I also know the air density.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty much how anemometers work, so it's definitely possible.
I'm afraid that I can't supply any formulae, though.

The aerodynamic force acting on a solid body can be expressed by a general equation:

F = [tex]1/2 \rho V^2 S C[/tex]

Where:
C is a force coefficient (either lift Cl, drag Cd or Cx, or whatever you're looking for)
S is a reference area (either frontal area, wing area for airplanes etc.)

The problem lies in the coefficient C. It depends on some adimensional numbers (Mach number and Reynolds number in most cases) and is usualy measured in a wind tunnel on a scaled model of the object.

If you were able to measure the force acting on the solid body, and if you knew the value of the aerodynamic coefficient C, then you wuld be also able to calculate the velocity from the formula above.

If you only knew the values of C vs. V (through Reynolds number) then it would necessarily be an iterative process, since you would have to estimate an initial V, then you would calculate C for that V, then you would recalculate V with that value of C, and then recalculate C with the new value of V, and so on and so on and so on... till the convergence of the result. :zzz:

On the other hand, if you had data (from real-scale or wind-tunnel measurements) which relate directly F to V (usually for incompressible flows and near-standard temperatures) then the process is straightforward: measure F --> read V from the F-V curve.

Last edited:
In practice, that method is difficult, but what you could do is use a pito-static tube.

Daiquiri said:
The aerodynamic force acting on a solid body can be expressed by a general equation:

F = [tex]1/2 \rho V^2 S C[/tex]
Can you add units I shall use to calculate force?

I found that Cx for flat wall is 1.5

R

C has no units. The other quantities on the right-hand-side of the equation combine to give force units.

As long as you use a consistent set of units for the different quantities, the result will be a force. For example:

[tex]\rho[/tex] in kg/m^3
V in m/s
S in m^2

Resulting units are
(kg / m^3) * (m/s)^2 * m^2
= (kg / m^3) * (m^2 / s^2) * m^2
= (kg / m^3) * m^4 / s^2
= kg * m / s^2
= Newtons

Thank you

As mentiond the pitot-static tube measures wind velocity, and does so via comparason of the pressure (force per unit area) in 2chambers connected to tubes, one that face into the wind and and one perpendicular to the wind.

What is the formula for calculating wind velocity given force and air density?

The formula for calculating wind velocity given force and air density is v = (F / ρ)^1/2, where v is the wind velocity in meters per second, F is the force in newtons, and ρ is the air density in kilograms per cubic meter.

How do I measure the force of the wind?

The force of the wind can be measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed. The anemometer can then be used to calculate the force of the wind using the formula F = ½ * ρ * A * v^2, where ρ is the air density, A is the cross-sectional area of the anemometer, and v is the wind velocity.

What is the unit of measurement for wind velocity?

The unit of measurement for wind velocity is meters per second (m/s).

How does air density affect wind velocity?

Air density is a key factor in determining wind velocity. As air density increases, wind velocity decreases because it takes more force to move the denser air. Conversely, as air density decreases, wind velocity increases because less force is needed to move the less dense air.

Can wind velocity be calculated accurately for all types of wind?

No, wind velocity cannot be accurately calculated for all types of wind. The formula for calculating wind velocity assumes that the wind is steady and uniform. Wind gusts, turbulence, and other factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, this formula is most accurate for wind speeds below 15 m/s.