Wine Fermentation Heat Generation

In summary, the HVAC system for the winery needs to account for heat generated during fermentation, which can range from 14-22C and will occur in about 6 tanks at a time. The exposed wine surface area of each tank is 2.63m2 and the total fermenting volume is 4000L of wine. The best source for information on heat generation during fermentation is a document stating that for every fermentation reaction, 2 ATP and heat are produced, with a total free energy change of -227 kcal and conserved energy of 15 kcal. The heat generated can be calculated by knowing the moles of glucose and the amount of liters per tank, and accounting for losses to the atmosphere.
Steve Mitchel
I am working on an HVAC system for a winery. Part of the heat loading during the peak late summer/fall season will be from the fermentation process and I am having difficulty finding information on the amount of heat generated from fermentation of wine.
Exposed wine surface area of each tank is 2.63m2.
Total fermenting volume of each tank is approx 4000L of wine before fermentation begins.
Expect maximum 6 tanks fermenting at a time.
Range of fermentation temperatures expected 14-22C.

Can anyone help me with this information and also; is the heat purely sensible or will there be additional latent heat released?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
While I know during winemaking, the fermentation does produce enough heat to require some cooling of the must/wine, I am unsure as too how much heat is produced.

The best source I could find so far is here
Code:
http://tinyurl.com/4g7fxqx

It states on pg 2 that per fermentation reaction, in addition to ethanol and CO2, 2 ATP and heat are produced, the Total free energy change is -227 kcal and the conserved energy is 15 kcal.

If you know the moles of glucose, should be able to figure the total kcal then I would think.

Thanks I think that will work.

Find out how much heat is generated per liter of alcohol (I have used it before, but can't locate it now). In a 4000L tank, about 600L is alcohol, worst case. Now multiple the heat generated per liter by the amount of liters per tank. The shortest fermentation is in the area of 10 days if I recall correctly. So divide that number by 240 to get you capacity required per hour at peak fermentation, then add a percent to account for losses to atmosphere.

I can provide some insights on the heat generation during wine fermentation and potential solutions for your HVAC system. The amount of heat generated during fermentation of wine can vary depending on several factors such as the type of yeast used, the sugar content of the grapes, and the temperature of fermentation. Generally, fermentation of 1% alcohol by volume can generate around 0.6 kWh of heat per 100 liters of wine. This means that for 4000L of wine, you can expect around 24 kWh of heat to be generated during the fermentation process.

In terms of the heat being purely sensible or releasing additional latent heat, it is a combination of both. Sensible heat is released due to the increase in temperature of the wine during fermentation, while latent heat is released as the sugar in the grapes is converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide. This latent heat release can contribute to around 20% of the total heat generated during fermentation.

To accurately determine the heat load from fermentation, you can consider measuring the temperature of the fermenting tanks and the surrounding air, and using this data to calculate the heat transfer rate. You can also consider using a heat flux sensor to directly measure the heat being released from the tanks.

In terms of solutions for your HVAC system, it is important to have proper ventilation and air circulation to remove the excess heat and maintain a consistent temperature in the winery. You can also consider using a heat recovery system to capture and reuse the heat generated during fermentation, which can help reduce energy costs. Additionally, insulation of the tanks and pipes can also help minimize heat loss and improve the efficiency of your HVAC system.

I hope this information helps you in your project and please feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

1. How does heat affect the fermentation process of wine?

Heat plays a crucial role in the fermentation process of wine. During fermentation, yeast converts the sugars in grape juice into alcohol and carbon dioxide. This process generates heat, which can impact the speed and quality of fermentation. If the temperature is too high, it can kill the yeast and stop fermentation, resulting in a sweet or unbalanced wine. If the temperature is too low, fermentation may slow down or stop altogether, leading to a dull or flat wine. Therefore, it is essential to carefully control the temperature during the fermentation process to achieve the desired results.

2. What are the sources of heat during wine fermentation?

There are several sources of heat during wine fermentation. The primary source is the metabolic activity of yeast, which produces heat as it consumes sugar and converts it into alcohol and carbon dioxide. Other sources include ambient temperature, sunlight, and equipment used during the winemaking process. Additionally, some winemakers use heating pads or temperature-controlled tanks to regulate the temperature during fermentation.

3. How do winemakers control the heat generated during fermentation?

Winemakers use various methods to control the heat generated during fermentation. One common method is to place the fermentation tanks in temperature-controlled rooms or caves. This allows for precise control of the temperature, ensuring optimal conditions for yeast growth and fermentation. Other techniques include using cooling jackets or pumping cold water through coils in the tanks to regulate the temperature. Some winemakers also use insulation or shade to protect the tanks from external heat sources.

4. What is the ideal temperature range for wine fermentation?

The ideal temperature range for wine fermentation varies depending on the type of wine being made. Generally, red wines tend to ferment at higher temperatures (between 70-90°F) compared to white wines (between 50-65°F). It is crucial to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the fermentation process to ensure the quality and flavor of the wine. If the temperature fluctuates too much, it can lead to off-flavors or spoilage of the wine.

5. How does heat generation during fermentation affect the final flavor of wine?

The heat generated during fermentation has a significant impact on the final flavor of wine. If the temperature is too high, it can result in a wine with a fruity aroma and a higher alcohol content. On the other hand, if the temperature is too low, the wine may have a more delicate aroma and a lower alcohol content. Winemakers carefully control the fermentation temperature to achieve the desired balance of flavors and alcohol levels in their wines.