Wire 6 LED's to 110v AC: Step-by-Step Guide for Converting Solar Lights

• Thread starter vette505
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Wire
In summary, the individual is seeking help with converting solar powered LED garden lights to be able to plug into an outlet in their house without using the solar part of the light. They are looking to connect either 6 or 10 lights in series or parallel and are seeking a simple schematic. Suggestions have been made to use a low voltage transformer and a double insulated wall-wart to regulate the voltage. However, further understanding of the lights and their power requirements is needed.
vette505
Hey guys, I've been researching on the internet for some time, and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I purchased solar powered single LED garden lights yesterday and am going to convert them to be able to plug into an outlet in the house. I've been reading some forums and everybody seems to have a different situation that is a little different than mine, so I thought I'd throw mine out there. I am looking to connect 6 in either series or parrallel - whichever is easier. I don't need a handful of "just in case" components either. Just whatever will get the job done and regulate a safe voltage. The battery that came out of the lights is a 1.2v AAA. Could anybody write a simple schematic for 6 of these, and one for 10 of these? If not that's okay. If so, thanks a million!

I'd like to keep it simple guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get a low voltage transformer and the lights that go with it..
You don't want housepower floating around in your garden.

Where are you planning to use these ?

I agree with Jim, a commonly available 24V garden lighting system is actually the proper route. However can you clarify - you want to remove the battery completely? and not use the solar part of the light?

I am sure the load ( required power ) is very low - you may also get away with a double insulated (important) wall-wart. You can get to a lower voltage than 24V ( maybe 3V) which is still too much to connect directly to the lights you have. You then will need to hack the lights a little to understand really what they need.

1. Can I directly connect 6 LEDs to a 110v AC power source?

No, it is not safe to directly connect LEDs to a 110v AC power source. LEDs require a lower voltage and need to be connected in a specific circuit to function properly.

2. How do I wire 6 LEDs to a 110v AC power source?

You will need to use a resistor to lower the voltage and a rectifier to convert the AC power to DC. The LEDs should be connected in a parallel circuit, with each LED having its own resistor.

3. What type of resistor should I use for wiring 6 LEDs to a 110v AC power source?

The type of resistor you need will depend on the voltage and current requirements of your LEDs. It is important to use a resistor with the correct resistance value to prevent the LEDs from burning out.

4. Is it safe to use a 110v AC power source for lighting multiple LEDs?

It is generally safe to use a 110v AC power source for lighting LEDs, as long as it is properly wired with the correct components. However, it is always important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when working with electricity.

5. Can I use a dimmer switch with 6 LEDs wired to a 110v AC power source?

Yes, you can use a dimmer switch with LEDs wired to a 110v AC power source. However, make sure to use a dimmer switch specifically designed for LED lighting to ensure compatibility and prevent any potential damage or safety hazards.