Calculating Tension in Wires Supporting a Lithograph

In summary, the tension in the second wire is calculated by splitting it into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry. This is necessary because tension acts in both the vertical and horizontal directions. The sum of the vertical components of the tension forces must be equal to the weight of the object, while the sum of the horizontal components must be equal to zero. This is why the equation includes sin and cos functions.
mikefitz

Homework Statement

2. A 45-N lithograph is supported by two wires. First wire makes a 15 degrees angle with the vertical and the second one makes a 25 degrees angle with the vertical. Find tension in the second wire.

I already have the answer to this problem, what I would like is some clarification on how tension is calculated. My book tells me I need to split tension into x and y; for example- x:-T1x+T2x=0 , y:T1y+T2y-mg=0

I understand that since the net Force on the system is zero that T added to mg is set to zero. Part of the solution goes something like this: (T2 ( sin25/sin15)) * cos15 + T2 cos25=mg

I am confused as to 1. why you split tension into x and y - I thought tension only acted in one direction, and 2. how does using sin and cos help in finding the answer? I guess if you could explain this to me I would understand how tension works better; thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, tension acts in both directions. The wires are pulling the lithograph upward (since they are supporting its weight), and since the wires are at angles to the vertical, they are also pulling the lithograph in slightly different directions on the x-axis. If you cut one of the wires, for instance, the lithograph would not only swing downward, but also across.

As for using sine and cosine; basic trigonometry. Say you want to find the horizontal components of the tension. Well, if you draw a right angle triangle:

sine(theta) = opposite/hypothenuse, and

hypothenuse*sine(theta) = opposite

In this case, theta and the tension of the hypothenuse are both given, so you can simply plug those values into obtain the tension of the opposite side (the pull of the wire along the x-axis).

mikefitz said:

Homework Statement

2. A 45-N lithograph is supported by two wires. First wire makes a 15 degrees angle with the vertical and the second one makes a 25 degrees angle with the vertical. Find tension in the second wire.

I already have the answer to this problem, what I would like is some clarification on how tension is calculated. My book tells me I need to split tension into x and y; for example- x:-T1x+T2x=0 , y:T1y+T2y-mg=0

I understand that since the net resultant Force on the system is zero that the sum of the vertical components of the two tension forces is equal to mg. What must be the sum of the horizontal components of the two tension forces? . Part of the solution goes something like this: (T2 ( sin25/sin15)) * cos15 + T2 cos25=mg

I am confused as to 1. why you split tension into x and y - I thought tension only acted in one direction,tension always acts in one direction, pulling away from the object in the direction of the wire...this gives it both a vertical and horizontal component, T1x, T1y, etc. and 2. how does using sin and cos help in finding the answer? I guess if you could explain this to me I would understand how tension works better; thanks.
See comments in red.

1. What is wire tension angle?

Wire tension angle refers to the angle at which a wire is pulled or stretched relative to its original position. It is an important concept in the field of mechanics and engineering, as it affects the overall stability and strength of a structure.

2. How is wire tension angle calculated?

Wire tension angle can be calculated using the formula tanθ = F/L, where θ is the tension angle, F is the force applied to the wire, and L is the length of the wire from its starting point to the point where the force is applied. This formula assumes that the wire is straight and uniformly stretched.

3. What factors affect wire tension angle?

Several factors can affect wire tension angle, including the material of the wire, the amount of force applied, and the length and diameter of the wire. The angle may also be affected by external forces, such as wind or vibrations, if the wire is part of a larger structure.

4. Why is wire tension angle important?

Understanding wire tension angle is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of structures that use wires, such as suspension bridges and power lines. Improper tension angle can lead to structural failure or damage, making it important for engineers to carefully calculate and monitor this factor.

5. What are some real-world applications of wire tension angle?

Wire tension angle is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the construction of bridges, power line installations, and zip lines. It is also important in the design and maintenance of cable-stayed structures, such as radio towers and cranes.