Wireless music transmission using lasers

In summary, the speaker volume for the music transmitted through the laser is currently very quiet and the user wants to build an op-amp amplifier for the signal. They are unsure if they need a more complex circuit to handle both channels or if a single signal amplifier for each channel separately will suffice. Additionally, more details about the transmitting and receiving circuits and the power of the laser being used are needed to determine the best solution. It is also suggested to try amplifying the signal before feeding it to the speakers and considering using a photo diode instead of solar cells for better sensitivity.
roz77
Hey all. I'm currently working on a project where I use a laser to transmit music playing from my iPod. The laser is hooked up to the iPod through a circuit, and there is a solar cell that the laser is pointed at. There are two wires coming from the solar cell that are connected to a stereo cable. My problem is that the sound coming from the speakers is very quiet, and I want to build an op-amp amplifier for the signal. I've searched for some stuff online but I keep getting a bunch of different things. Can I just basically use a single signal amplifier for each channel separately? Or do I have to build a more complex circuit to handle both of the channels? Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
roz77 said:
Hey all. I'm currently working on a project where I use a laser to transmit music playing from my iPod. The laser is hooked up to the iPod through a circuit, and there is a solar cell that the laser is pointed at. There are two wires coming from the solar cell that are connected to a stereo cable. My problem is that the sound coming from the speakers is very quiet, and I want to build an op-amp amplifier for the signal. I've searched for some stuff online but I keep getting a bunch of different things. Can I just basically use a single signal amplifier for each channel separately? Or do I have to build a more complex circuit to handle both of the channels? Thanks for your help.

Could you please show more details for the transmitting and receiving circuits that you are currently using? That will help a lot in determining what else you should add at the receiver.

What power TX laser are you using, and how are you modulating its amplitude?

roz77 said:
The laser is hooked up to the iPod through a circuit, and there is a solar cell that the laser is pointed at. There are two wires coming from the solar cell that are connected to a stereo cable. My problem is that the sound coming from the speakers is very quiet,...

Is your stereo cable connected directly to the speakers or does it go through an amplifier? If not you should try amplifying it before feeding it to the speakers.

I don't know the frequency response of solar cells. I've never seen it specified so I assumed it wasn't very good. If you lack high frequencies you may consider using a photo diode instead of solar cells. A photo diode doesn't produce current like solar cells, but merely varies its resistance in response to varying light levels. A photo diode may also be more sensitive than solar cells but you still will need an amplifier.

Related to Wireless music transmission using lasers

1. How does wireless music transmission using lasers work?

Wireless music transmission using lasers involves converting an audio signal into a laser beam, which is then transmitted to a receiver using line-of-sight technology. The receiver then decodes the laser beam back into an audio signal, allowing the music to be played through speakers or headphones.

2. What are the benefits of using lasers for wireless music transmission?

One of the main benefits of using lasers for wireless music transmission is that it eliminates the need for physical cables, making it a more convenient and clutter-free option. It also allows for high-quality audio transmission over longer distances compared to other wireless technologies.

3. Are there any limitations to wireless music transmission using lasers?

Yes, there are a few limitations to this technology. Since it requires a direct line-of-sight between the transmitter and receiver, any obstacles or interference can disrupt the signal. Additionally, lasers are affected by weather conditions such as fog or rain, which can also impact the transmission.

4. Is wireless music transmission using lasers safe?

Yes, wireless music transmission using lasers is generally considered safe. The laser beams used are low-powered and do not pose any health risks. However, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and avoid looking directly into the laser beam.

5. Can wireless music transmission using lasers be used for outdoor events?

Yes, this technology can be used for outdoor events. However, as mentioned earlier, weather conditions and obstacles can affect the transmission. Therefore, it is important to carefully plan and set up the equipment to ensure a successful music transmission.