1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wires and potential difference

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    Recently in physics I've learned that equipotential surfaces are always conductors in electrostatic equilibrium.. so no moving charges. I'm a little confused, then, of how a wire carrying current is considered an equipotential? If charges are moving how can the potential be constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand your question because a wire with current moving through it is NOT an equipotential surface- for one thing, in order to have current there must be a potential difference between the two ends. Of course, in order to have a current in it, differing potential must be applied to both ends of the wire. A wire without an imposed potential difference is an "equipotential"- and has no current in it.

(Since this is a question and NOT "learning material" I am moving it to "general physics".)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

HallsofIvy is correct, however if you are in a circuits class then you will often make the useful approximation that the ends of a wire are equipotential because it is simply too tedious to keep track of a couple of nanovolts here and there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook