Wiring Thin film solar panels into a circuit

In summary, the flexible solar panels Mikee found on the site would be suitable for his project, but he is not sure how to wire them up. He is also looking for feedback on his project.
Mikeemc
Hello,

I'm currently doing a project which involves generating power from thin film solar panels, I have found the kind I need on a site (http://www.siliconsolar.com/flexible-solar-panels-6v-p-16205.html) which suits my size and power criteria but I am not totally sure how I would go about wiring a sheet like this up into a circuit which could channel the power into it.

I have found some other types of PhotoVoltaic solar panels with the wiring kit, but they are too large for what I need it for. The thickness needs to be around 1mm.

I've only just found this site today, any feedback is appreciated, maybe even pointing me into a direction where I could go to find some Solar panels like this closer to home (Manchester, UK)

Thanks for reading,

Mikee

Engineering news on Phys.org
have to bear in mind average power output over a full year is typically 10% of peak.

It makes solar power very expensive and they are only of use where there is no other source.

What thickness needs to be 1mm ?

I would have thought that you wire them in series and then use some sort of switched mode device to produce constant voltage or constant current output for charging batteries.

What are you powering?

Thanks for the reply pumblechook

Yeah, The part of my project now is just to test it really, so hopefully after getting these panels I can find if its viable or not.

The thickness of the panel is 1 mm which is the flexible solar panel on that site I typed in.

My first thought was that somewhere on the surface edge of these panels there maybe parts that you could solder 2 wires too, which could make the ciruit, and give somewhere for the generated power to go. But the site technitions are not replying to any of my enquires so I thought I would try else where.

The panels are suppose to charge 5 lithium coin batteries which have a total capacity of 2500mah. Thats the main goal anyway, whether it works efficiently or not ill find out but first I need to know the way to wire these up, before i commit to buying :smile:

Could be an interesting project but it must much cheaper to just charge em off the mains. You would have to charge many times to use a kWh and that costs around 15p. I would be wary of putting them in parallel. If one fails and 'shorts' the others may fail and could burst into flames. Put a diode in series with each cell and second diode reversed for charging. You will lose 0.7 - 1 v across each diode.

If they are not replying I don't know what you can do.

Is that 2500 MAh with them in parallel = 3.6V x 2.5Ah = 9Wh or series = 45 Wh ?

http://www.alwitra.co.uk/evanlonsolar.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I wire thin film solar panels into a circuit?

To wire thin film solar panels into a circuit, you will need to connect the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals of the panels to each other and to the corresponding terminals on your circuit. This can be done using wires, connectors, and a charge controller if necessary.

2. Can I wire thin film solar panels in parallel or series?

Yes, you can wire thin film solar panels in both parallel and series configurations. In a parallel configuration, the positive terminals of the panels are connected together, as well as the negative terminals, resulting in increased current output. In a series configuration, the positive terminal of one panel is connected to the negative terminal of the next, resulting in increased voltage output.

3. How do I determine the correct wire size for wiring thin film solar panels into a circuit?

The wire size needed for wiring thin film solar panels into a circuit will depend on the current and voltage output of the panels, as well as the distance between the panels and the circuit. It is important to consult a wire size calculator or a professional electrician to ensure the correct wire size is used for safety and efficiency.

4. Do I need a charge controller when wiring thin film solar panels into a circuit?

A charge controller is not always necessary when wiring thin film solar panels into a circuit. However, it is recommended to use a charge controller if the panels have a higher voltage output than the circuit can handle, or if the panels are connected to a battery for storage.

5. What is the maximum number of thin film solar panels that can be wired into a circuit?

The maximum number of thin film solar panels that can be wired into a circuit will depend on the capacity of the circuit and the output of the panels. It is important to consult the specifications of both the panels and the circuit to determine the maximum number of panels that can be safely and efficiently wired together.