1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word problems in Linear equations help

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost. If the team played a total of 154 games and there were no ties, how many games did the team win?
    (A) 50
    (B) 98
    (C) 100
    (D) 102
    (E) 104

Correct Answer is

2. Relevant equations

ok so no. of games won = x ... no. of games lost = y... total games ... x + y = 154

But i couldn't figure out the subject of the first statement,couldn't make an equation of it

3. The attempt at a solution

tried a wild solution x+y = 154... x = y +54 (don't have a foggiest notion about that idea) ....substitution gave 50 which is incorrect...and i won't tell you the correct answer xD

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use exactly one variable. Let x be number of games lost. Use this to express how many games the team won. The team won 54 more games than it lost; the team won 54+x. Those are TWO numbers. x and x+54. Now, how many games did the team play?

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost." so x is 54 larger than y: x= y+ 54.

You won't tell us the correct answer? Why should we care?
    No, "50" is NOT the correct answer to the question asked. I think you forgot how you had defined x and y!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Aug 15, 2013 #4
    ahan sorry yes you are spot on i forgot how i defined the variables...

so x + y = 154 x=y + 54 => y = x-54 putting this in x + y = 154

x + x - 54 = 154

2x = 208 => x = 104...the Correct answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted