Word problems in Linear equations help

In summary, the baseball team won 104 games as they won 54 more games than they lost and played a total of 154 games with no ties.
kashan123999

Homework Statement

A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost. If the team played a total of 154 games and there were no ties, how many games did the team win?
(A) 50
(B) 98
(C) 100
(D) 102
(E) 104Correct Answer is

Homework Equations

ok so no. of games won = x ... no. of games lost = y... total games ... x + y = 154

But i couldn't figure out the subject of the first statement,couldn't make an equation of it

The Attempt at a Solution

tried a wild solution x+y = 154... x = y +54 (don't have a foggiest notion about that idea) ...substitution gave 50 which is incorrect...and i won't tell you the correct answer xD

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use exactly one variable. Let x be number of games lost. Use this to express how many games the team won. The team won 54 more games than it lost; the team won 54+x. Those are TWO numbers. x and x+54. Now, how many games did the team play?

kashan123999 said:

Homework Statement

A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost. If the team played a total of 154 games and there were no ties, how many games did the team win?
(A) 50
(B) 98
(C) 100
(D) 102
(E) 104Correct Answer is

Homework Equations

ok so no. of games won = x ... no. of games lost = y... total games ... x + y = 154

But i couldn't figure out the subject of the first statement,couldn't make an equation of it
"A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost." so x is 54 larger than y: x= y+ 54.

The Attempt at a Solution

tried a wild solution x+y = 154... x = y +54 (don't have a foggiest notion about that idea) ...substitution gave 50 which is incorrect...and i won't tell you the correct answer xD
You won't tell us the correct answer? Why should we care?
No, "50" is NOT the correct answer to the question asked. I think you forgot how you had defined x and y!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
"A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost." so x is 54 larger than y: x= y+ 54.

You won't tell us the correct answer? Why should we care?
No, "50" is NOT the correct answer to the question asked. I think you forgot how you had defined x and y!

ahan sorry yes you are spot on i forgot how i defined the variables...

so x + y = 154 x=y + 54 => y = x-54 putting this in x + y = 154

x + x - 54 = 154

2x = 208 => x = 104...the Correct answer

1. How do I identify a linear equation in a word problem?

A linear equation will have variables raised to the first power and will not contain any exponents or variables multiplied together. It will also have a constant rate of change or slope.

2. How do I set up and solve a word problem using a linear equation?

Start by translating the words into mathematical expressions and setting them equal to each other. Then, use the appropriate algebraic steps to solve for the variable in the equation. Be sure to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the point-slope form of a linear equation and how do I use it in word problems?

The point-slope form of a linear equation is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope. This form is useful for finding the equation of a line given a point and the slope, or for graphing a line.

4. How do I know if a word problem requires a system of linear equations to solve?

A word problem will require a system of linear equations if there are multiple variables or relationships involved, such as two unknown quantities that are dependent on each other. You may also see key words like "together" or "combined" which indicate the need for a system of equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving word problems with linear equations?

Some common mistakes include misinterpreting the given information, setting up the wrong equation, or making errors in algebraic steps. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, double check your equations, and show all work to avoid mistakes.