Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,754 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© VOMIT 10/8/33 (WB 52)(Seed: ranked 1328 and used by 8 others)
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© FIGHT 4/3/18 (25)
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© INPUT 1/1/1 (3) INSET(New), INERT(Used)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 INLET (1.000)

global mean: 3.766
I am really losing it. My guess #2 word was about as bad as you can get in the current state of hard mode.
I think I've spent at least 5 hours fixing how to not make that mistake again.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,755 5/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬› NIMBY 64/51/169 (wb 295)(Seed: ranked 3222 and used by 1 other)
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› ANCHO 15/11/29 (56)
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› LUNAR 2/0/0 (2)
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› LEANT 1/0/0 (1) RNG
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 LADEN

global mean: 3.659

I believe this is the first time I've carried a single character in a straight line through 5 guesses. Don't recall anyone else mentioning this either. What are the odds, I wonder?

Tried out a new method today, where rather than using specific logic after each guess, I use a list of β‰ˆ200 non-lousy hard-mode guess words. Was somewhat surprised by my 2nd guess word. It is Spanish for 'wide'.
I have no recollection of ever seeing it before.
 
eh.

Wordle 1,755 4/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (122).webp
 
Wordle 1,756 3/6*

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› MOTIF 6/12/16 (wb 32)(Seed: ranked 3906 and used by 1 other)
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ SCHMO 0/1/0 (1)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CAROM

global mean: 4.271

I'm surprised the mean is this low as I don't recall ever hearing this word before.
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,756 3/6*

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› MOTIF 6/12/16 (wb 32)(Seed: ranked 3906 and used by 1 other)
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ SCHMO 0/1/0 (1)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CAROM

global mean: 4.271

I'm surprised the mean is this low as I don't recall ever hearing this word before.
New one to me too.
 
Wordle 1,757 4/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› IMPLY 31/31/65 (wb 152) (Seed: ranked 1511 and used by 7 others)
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› EPOCH 9/11/9 (38)(fellow seed)
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ© PURSE 1/0/1 (2)(1.500) PRUNE(used),
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 PRUDE (old)

global mean: 3.697

Stats since Wordle Easter:
55/69 = 80% original list
6/69 = 9% added words
8/69 = 12% reused from games 0, 4, 15, 51, 59, 122, 296, 1226
 
Heh. :smile:

On the third guess I first wanted an extra E but then I noticed I still had an U....

Wordle 1,757 3/6*

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (124).webp
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,758 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ HOKUM 228/191/466 (wb 1114) (Seed: ranked last and used by no others)
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© WINDY 23/11/31 (79)
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© APTLY 2/0/0 (2)
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© ALLAY 1/0/1 (1)(RNG)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ALLEY

global mean: 3.869
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,758 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ HOKUM 228/191/466 (wb 1114) (Seed: ranked last and used by no others)
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© WINDY 23/11/31 (79)
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© APTLY 2/0/0 (2)
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© ALLAY 1/0/1 (1)(RNG)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ALLEY

global mean: 3.869
Looks like a hard one...
 
The seed word gods shined down on me today. :cool:

Wordle 1,758 2/6

⬜🟨🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,758 2/6
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, sbrothy and OmCheeto
sbrothy said:
Looks like a hard one...
Depends on your choice of seed word:
dwarde said:
The seed word gods shined down on me today. :cool:
...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Not my "best work" here. Perhaps I should think about varying my seed word a little. (Or perhaps just thinking a little deeper...)

EDIT: I know the X is a little crazy but at some point it has to be make an appearance....

Wordle 1,758 5/6*

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (125).webp
 
Wordle 1,759 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› PUBIC 17/19/40 (WB 90)(Seed: ranked 2971 and used by 1 other)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› VOMIT 5/8/11 (29)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© GRAIN 1/1/0 (2) (1.577) SKEIN(new),
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ELFIN (old)

global mean: 3.879
 
Wordle 1,760 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ THUMB 230/193/471 (WB 1150) (Seed: ranked 1084 and used by 11 others)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› DISCO 8/5/18 (35) (only remaining seed)
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© CRANE 1/0/0 (1) (1.269, 2: worst case)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CYCLE

global mean: 4.137
 
Wordle 1,761 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ MOCHI 168/170/366 βˆ‘704 (WB 883) (Seed: ranked last and used by no others)
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› PUDGY 2/3/10 βˆ‘15 (16)
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› GAUNT 1/0/0 (1) (1.082, 2 worst case)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BEGUN

global mean: 3.998
 
Ah well. EDIT: Again I make the mistake of reusing a letter already eliminated. Duh.

Wordle 1,761 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (128).webp
 
For once I tried a new seed word but it didn't really help much. STEM related solution this time though!

Wordle 1,762 4/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (129).webp
 
Wordle 1,762 5/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© VOMIT 1/3/9 (wb 19)(Seed: ranked 1229 and used by 15 others)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© REFIT 0/1/6 (10)(only old word: 4.462, max: 7. I should have used AUDIT @ 2.077, max: 3)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© DIGIT 0/1/4 (7)(TYPO! 4.000, max: 6. Again, AUDIT @ 1.286, max: 2, was the best choice)
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© PLAIT 0/1/0 (1)(1.000)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CUBIT

global mean: 3.929

Note to self: Do not play game immediately after waking up in the morning as your brain obviously doesn't work. I count at least 3 mistakes.
  1. 'New' words were lagging behind in the stats, so logically I should not have automatically used the only 'Old' word as my 2nd guess.
  2. Using the best word as my second guess would have solved the puzzle in 3.
  3. I somehow chose the worst word as my 3rd guess rather than the best word which it was sitting right above.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and collinsmark
OmCheeto said:
...
'New' words were lagging behind in the stats, so logically I should not have automatically used the only 'Old' word as my 2nd guess.
...
I don't normally monitor this parameter very closely, but I do keep a running tally at the end of each game.
I spent the last hour graphing the 3 sets of words and they're getting fairly consistent.

1776357776556.webp

The x-axis zero corresponds to game #1689 when the 'used' words started being recycled.

OmCheeto said:
...
TYPO!
...
If it's your brain that made the mistake instead of your fingers, should that be called a brainographical error?

hmmm... What does 'Ai' have to say about this;
AI Overview said:
A typographical error (or typo) is a mistake made during printing or typing, originating from the Greek typos (impression/mark) and graphein (to write). The term refers to mechanical errors in typesetting (18th-19th century) and later, manual typewriter slips, with "typo" becoming popular as an abbreviation in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Wikipedia
+4
Key Etymological Points:
Root Origins: The word is derived from typography (1640s), which combines Medieval Latin typographia (printing) with Greek roots meaning "impression" and "writing".
Historical Definition: Historically called a "printer's error," it referred to mistakes made by a compositor arranging physical type blocks to create a "galley proof".
"Typo" Evolution: While typo was used in 1816 to refer to a person (a compositor), it became common as a shortened form of "typographical error" by 1892.
Modern Shift: The meaning broadened from specifically mechanical "misprints" to include general digital typing errors, slips of the hand on keyboards, and touchscreen "fat finger" errors.
Online Etymology Dictionary
+4
The word was historically associated with "mistakes of the press," while "typo" became the standard, informal abbreviation as typewriters and later, computers, became common.
Meh. Given that the brain is responsible for just about everything we do, I think I'll stick with 'Typo'.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
Wordle 1,763 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ GHOUL 72/45/155 βˆ‘272 (wb 296) (Seed: ranked 272 and used by 119 others)
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› KYLIX 8/5/8 βˆ‘21 (24)
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› VALET 1/0/0 (1) (1.400, 3 max)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BELLE

global mean: 4.339