Work and enegry theoretical problem

In summary, the hiker's change in potential energy is 1.56 x 10^6 Joules and the minimum work required is also 1.56 x 10^6 Joules. However, the actual work done can be more than this due to the opposing force of friction. This means that the hiker may have to expend more energy in order to overcome the force of friction and continue climbing. It is recommended to seek a second opinion, such as from a professor, for further clarification on this topic.
chazgurl4life
Ok so my problem was: A 80 kg hiker starts at an elevation of 1600 m and climbs to the top of a 3600 m peak.

(a) What is the hiker's change in potential energy?
J

(b) What is the minimum work required of the hiker?
J

(c) Can the actual work done be more than this? YES!

so i figured out a) Change in PE = mg(y2-y1)
=80kg(9.8 m/s^2)(3600m-1600m)
= 1.56 x 10^6 Joules
B) Part b is the same answer cause with your PE you can perform minimum work

But for C i don't understand how the actual work be more than delta PE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you considering friction?

Ok ..if we consider friction t the opposite force ( energy used to climb up the peak) has to be more than 1.5 e6 because it has to overcome the force of friction to kepp climbing up. is that right?

Yes. That's what I was thinking.

thanx so much for your help

It was a pleasure, but you should ask a second and better opinion.

im going to ask my professor in class thanks anyway

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

The scientific definition of work is the product of the applied force on an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How is work calculated in a theoretical problem?

In a theoretical problem, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to the object, causing it to change its state or move. In simpler terms, work is a measure of the change in an object's energy.

4. Can work be negative in a theoretical problem?

Yes, work can be negative in a theoretical problem. This happens when the force applied on an object is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This results in the work done being negative, which indicates that energy is being taken away from the object.

5. How is the principle of conservation of energy applied in solving work and energy theoretical problems?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. In solving work and energy theoretical problems, this principle is applied to ensure that the initial and final energies of the system are equal. Any work done on the system will result in a change in energy, but the total energy in the system will remain constant.