How Do You Calculate Work and Power for a Moving Object?

In summary: N)i + (9.50 N)j + (7.50 N)k dot (B - A)Then the average power is w/t = w/4.50 sLastly, the angle between the vectors i and f can be found using the dot product formula and the magnitudes of i and f.
danest

Homework Statement

A force = (5.10 N) + (9.50 N) + (7.50 N) acts on a 2.30 kg mobile object that moves from an initial position of i = (1.30 m) - (9.70 m) + (7.90 m) to a final position of f = -(1.90 m) + (4.80 m) + (8.00 m) in 4.50 s. Find (a) the work done on the object by the force in the 4.50 s interval, (b) the average power due to the force during that interval, and (c) the angle between vectors i and f.

Homework Equations

W= F dot d

W= F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

First I attempted to solve for a by doing the dot product of the force vector and the d final but that didn't work. Then I found the magnitudes of F and d final and multiplied them but then that didn't work either. Am I supposed to use F= ma and find the acceleration? but if its that what am I supposed to find after?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danest said:

Homework Statement

A force = (5.10 N) + (9.50 N) + (7.50 N) acts on a 2.30 kg mobile object that moves from an initial position of i = (1.30 m) - (9.70 m) + (7.90 m) to a final position of f = -(1.90 m) + (4.80 m) + (8.00 m) in 4.50 s. Find (a) the work done on the object by the force in the 4.50 s interval, (b) the average power due to the force during that interval, and (c) the angle between vectors i and f.
You better write the problem in the proper vector form. Like
F = (5.10 N)i + (9.50 N)j + (7.50 N)k
Initial position vector A = (1.30 m)i - (9.70 m)j + (7.90 m)k
Final position vector B = -(1.90 m)i + (4.80 m)j + (8.00 m)k
The displacement vector d = (B - A)
Now find w = F.d

:

To solve this problem, we can use the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. We can also use the equation P = W/t, where P is power, t is time, and W is work.

(a) To find the work done on the object, we need to find the force and displacement vectors and then take their dot product. The force vector is given as (5.10 N) + (9.50 N) + (7.50 N) = (22.10 N) and the displacement vector is given as -(1.90 m) + (4.80 m) + (8.00 m) = (10.90 m). Taking the dot product, we get W = (22.10 N) * (10.90 m) = 240.29 J.

(b) To find the average power due to the force during the 4.50 s interval, we can use the equation P = W/t. We already know the value of W from part (a), and the time is given as 4.50 s. Plugging in the values, we get P = (240.29 J) / (4.50 s) = 53.40 W.

(c) To find the angle between the initial and final position vectors, we can use the dot product again. The dot product of two vectors A and B is given by A * B = |A| * |B| * cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the two vectors. In this case, A is the initial position vector and B is the final position vector. The magnitude of A is given by sqrt((1.30 m)^2 + (-9.70 m)^2 + (7.90 m)^2) = 13.47 m. The magnitude of B is given by sqrt((-1.90 m)^2 + (4.80 m)^2 + (8.00 m)^2) = 9.42 m. Plugging in the values, we get 13.47 m * 9.42 m * cos(theta) = (1.30 m) * (-1.90 m) + (-9.70 m) * (4.80 m) + (7.90 m) * (8.00 m). Solving for cos(theta), we get cos(theta) = 0.688

1. How does work affect an individual's sense of power?

Work can have a significant impact on an individual's sense of power. When someone feels successful, accomplished, and in control in their work, it can greatly boost their self-esteem and confidence. On the other hand, if someone feels overwhelmed, undervalued, or lacking in control in their work, it can diminish their sense of power and lead to feelings of dissatisfaction and stress.

2. What factors contribute to an individual's sense of power in the workplace?

Several factors can contribute to an individual's sense of power in the workplace. These can include their job title and role, level of authority and decision-making power, recognition and rewards, and the support and autonomy given by their superiors. Additionally, a positive work culture and a sense of belonging can also play a significant role in an individual's sense of power.

3. How can an individual increase their sense of power in their job?

There are several ways an individual can increase their sense of power in their job. First, they can take on new challenges and responsibilities, which can lead to a sense of accomplishment and growth. They can also communicate assertively and effectively with their superiors to express their needs and concerns. Building positive relationships and networks within the workplace can also help an individual feel more powerful and supported.

4. How does power dynamics in the workplace impact productivity and success?

The power dynamics in the workplace can have a significant impact on productivity and success. When there is a healthy balance of power and mutual respect among colleagues and superiors, it can create a positive and collaborative work environment. However, if there is a misuse or abuse of power, it can lead to conflicts, stress, and ultimately affect the overall productivity and success of the organization.

5. How can a company promote a sense of power and empowerment among its employees?

A company can promote a sense of power and empowerment among its employees by fostering a positive and inclusive work culture. This can include providing opportunities for growth and development, recognizing and rewarding employees for their contributions, and promoting open communication and transparency. Giving employees a sense of autonomy and involving them in decision-making processes can also help them feel more empowered in their roles.