Work & Momentum: T, F, r, sinθ

In summary: This also means that the units for torque and work are interchangeable in calculations.In summary, the conversation is about the unit of torque (T) being in N•m and how to solve for distance (r) in the formula T=F•r•sin< when r is between 0 and 1. The second question is about why the unit for moment is represented in Newtons when it has the dimensions of mass times distance squared over time squared. The expert suggests that the units are interchangeable because torque and work are both the product of force and distance.
Anas
Hello,
#1 As my teacher explained "T=F•r•sin<" all clear so far.
When i attempted to apply the formula it crossed my mind that the unit of T is (N•m), if so how do we solve for distence 0< r < 1.
#2 Another question if the unit is {(kg•m)/(s^2)}•m why did he represent moment with Newtons?
Assuming that he follows a rule of equivalency from tork to Newtons, how is it the same value on two different units?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anas said:
Hello,
#1 As my teacher explained "T=F•r•sin<" all clear so far.
When i attempted to apply the formula it crossed my mind that the unit of T is (N•m), if so how do we solve for distence 0< r < 1.
#2 Another question if the unit is {(kg•m)/(s^2)}•m why did he represent moment with Newtons?
Assuming that he follows a rule of equivalency from tork to Newtons, how is it the same value on two different units?
Hmm, you will need to tell us the context of this formula. As it stands, it could be to do with many different situations.

Anas said:
It is difficult to understand what you are asking. My guess is that you are wondering why the unit for torque has the same dimensions as the unit for energy, both having dimensions of mass times distance squared over time squared.

One answer is that both are the product of a force times a distance. Another is that one Newton-meter of work is just what you would expect when applying one Newton-meter of torque over one radian of rotation. Since the radian is dimensionless, the units for torque and work will have the same dimensions.

1. What is work?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force acts on an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. How is work related to momentum?

Work is directly related to momentum, as work is the change in an object's momentum. When work is done on an object, its momentum changes. This change in momentum is equal to the work done on the object.

4. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred, while power is the rate at which work is done. Work is calculated by multiplying force and distance, while power is calculated by dividing work by time.

5. How does the angle between the force and the direction of motion affect work?

The angle between the force and the direction of motion, represented by θ, affects the amount of work done on an object. When the angle is 0 degrees, the force and the direction of motion are parallel, resulting in the maximum amount of work. As the angle increases, the amount of work decreases, and when the angle is 90 degrees, no work is done as the force is perpendicular to the direction of motion.