Solving a Problem with Velocity: Stuck and Need Help

In summary: Otherwise we can't help you.I apologize for my previous response. I did not realize that this was a different forum than the one I posted my question on. Here is my attempt at solving the problem: In summary, I attempted to solve the problem by using the work-energy theorem, where work (W) is equal to the change in kinetic energy (KE). I then set the work done (W_D) divided by two equal to the velocity (V) at the end of the distance (D). I also considered the equation W = (change in x)F, where W_D/2 is related to the speed V' at the point where the work done is W_D/2. However, I got stuck and was
bob1352
Homework Statement
Homework relating to work and velocity.
Relevant Equations
.5mv^2=KE, W = (change in x)F
I sent the work divided by two equal to the velocity part of the problem then got stuck.

Attachments

• Part 1 W and K.PNG
    Part 1 W and K.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Part 2 W and K.PNG
    Part 2 W and K.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Part 3 W and K.PNG
    Part 3 W and K.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 90
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
bob1352 said:
Homework Statement:: Homework relating to work and velocity to
Relevant Equations:: .5mv^2=KE, W = (change in x)F

I sent the work divided by two equal to the velocity part of the problem then got stuck.
Please post your attempt, per forum rules.

Likes Delta2
To get you started, how is the work ##W_D## related to the speed V at the end of the distance D? Think of work energy theorem.
Similarly, how is the work ##W_D/2## related to the speed ##V'## (which is the speed that the box has when the work that has been done is ##W_D/2##.)

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Please post your attempt, per forum rules.
Do you honestly think I went through the effort of creating an account and making a post without attempting the problem first? In the post I even said that I set the work divided 2 = to velocity part and got stuck. And somehow I got a strike on my account for getting stuck. My disappointment with this forum is immeasurable and my day in ruined. All I asked for was help, not answers, and I was left to rot like a corpse in the rain.

• Sad
Likes Delta2
bob1352 said:
Do you honestly think I went through the effort of creating an account and making a post without attempting the problem first? In the post I even said that I set the work divided 2 = to velocity part and got stuck. And somehow I got a strike on my account for getting stuck. My disappointment with this forum is immeasurable and my day in ruined. All I asked for was help, not answers, and I was left to rot like a corpse in the rain.
I am not able to help you if you do not post what you actually did. The outline in post #1 is much too vague. Did you really set velocity = work/2? I hope not. Did you get an answer of any sort as a result of what you did?

It seems such a waste to go through the effort of joining and making a post, then not supply enough info for anyone to help you.

Any "strike" on your account did not come from me.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
bob1352 said:
You really have to provide us with more details of what exactly you did. We don't have telepathy , we are not inside your brain to know what you thought for this problem and what exactly you did.
We want to help you and not going to leave you like a corpse to rot in the rain, but you must show some effort and post a well detailed attempt at the solution.

1. How do I determine the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time it took for the object to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is V = d/t, where V is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem involving velocity?

If you are stuck on a problem involving velocity, it is important to first identify what information you have and what you are trying to solve for. Then, use the appropriate formula and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variable. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the problem down into smaller, simpler steps.

3. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. Can I use any units for velocity?

Velocity can be expressed in a variety of units, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or miles per hour (mph). It is important to pay attention to the units given in a problem and make sure to use the appropriate unit in your calculation.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving problems with velocity?

Solving problems with velocity is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and even everyday life. It can be used to calculate the speed of a moving vehicle, the force needed to launch a rocket, or the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes and in transportation to optimize travel routes.