Work Done by a General Variable Force

In summary, The net work performed on the brick by the force causing the acceleration as it moves from x = 0 to x = 8.0 m can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of the acceleration function and multiplying it by the mass of the brick. However, there may be other methods to solve this problem, such as using the slope of the curve. This involves using information from the slope to calculate the work done, which may appear to be a longer route but ultimately cancels out the displacements.
musicfairy
A 8 kg brick moves along an x axis. Its acceleration as a function of its position is shown in Figure 7-37. What is the net work performed on the brick by the force causing the acceleration as the brick moves from x = 0 to x = 8.0 m?

07_34.gif

What I tried to do is find the area and multiply by the mass, but it doesn't work.

Please help.

Edit: Never mind it worked. I just typed it in wrong. But I have another concern.

Is there any additional ways to solve this problem other than the one I mentioned? I was looking at someone else's work and that person did something with the slope. How does that work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By looking at it I could see that if they take info from the slope they would appear to be taking a longer route, finding the slope just cancels the displacements.

There are several ways to solve this problem, and the method you described (finding the area under the curve and multiplying by mass) is one valid approach. Another method is to use the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance. In this case, the force is varying with position, so you would need to integrate the force function to find the total work done.

As for the method involving slope, it is likely that the person used the concept of work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By finding the slope of the acceleration vs. position graph, they may have been able to calculate the change in kinetic energy and thus the net work done. However, this method may not work for all cases and may require additional assumptions or equations. It is always important to carefully consider the method and assumptions used in solving a physics problem.

1. What is work done by a general variable force?

Work done by a general variable force is the physical quantity that measures the energy transferred to an object by a force as it moves through a certain distance. It is also known as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done by a general variable force calculated?

Work done by a general variable force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a general variable force?

The unit of measurement for work done by a general variable force is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy, as work is a form of energy.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the work done by a general variable force?

The direction of the force affects the work done by a general variable force because work is only done when the force and displacement are in the same direction. If the force is perpendicular to the displacement, then no work is done.

5. Can the work done by a general variable force be negative?

Yes, the work done by a general variable force can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in the object losing energy. This can happen, for example, when a person walks up a flight of stairs and their body moves against the force of gravity.