1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done by a General Variable Force

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    A 8 kg brick moves along an x axis. Its acceleration as a function of its position is shown in Figure 7-37. What is the net work performed on the brick by the force causing the acceleration as the brick moves from x = 0 to x = 8.0 m?

[​IMG]

What I tried to do is find the area and multiply by the mass, but it doesn't work.

Please help.

Edit: Never mind it worked. I just typed it in wrong. But I have another concern.

Is there any additional ways to solve this problem other than the one I mentioned? I was looking at someone else's work and that person did something with the slope. How does that work?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    By looking at it I could see that if they take info from the slope they would appear to be taking a longer route, finding the slope just cancels the displacements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?